Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze

(not my image, however it matches my experience well but with improved atmosphere)

This is my first taste of Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze, a 375ml bottle. I’ve also had Boon Oude Geuze and Russian River Temptation, the latter I consider to be very similar to a Gueze, although not specifically advertised as one.

It has a low carbonation, maybe even lower than the Russian River, but at least similar. This is compared to the Boon which has a champagne-like carbonation. The Oak character is very present, I love that.

The Drie Fonteinen is probably the most approachable between the three. Dry for sure, but not as noticeably dry as the others I’ve mentioned. I’m not sure if the approachability is because of the low carbonation, or the residual flavors, but the low CO2 level is certainly welcomed. In fact, after having the Drie Fonteinen, I will definitely consider a level of about 2.8Vol in my homebrewed sours.

I’m not sure if this is my favorite between the three, but I believe it may have the most present oak character. Personally, I still prefer a Flanders sour such as Rodenbach Grand Cru or Liefmans Goudenband. Those beers have the same sour and oak characteristics, but also give you more malt depth. Just a stylistic preference, really.

[quote=“alanzo”]
(not my image, however it matches my experience well but with improved atmosphere)

This is my first taste of Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze, a 375ml bottle. I’ve also had Boon Oude Geuze and Russian River Temptation, the latter I consider to be very similar to a Gueze, although not specifically advertised as one.

It has a low carbonation, maybe even lower than the Russian River, but at least similar. This is compared to the Boon which has a champagne-like carbonation. The Oak character is very present, I love that.

The Drie Fonteinen is probably the most approachable between the three. Dry for sure, but not as noticeably dry as the others I’ve mentioned. I’m not sure if the approachability is because of the low carbonation, or the residual flavors, but the low CO2 level is certainly welcomed. In fact, after having the Drie Fonteinen, I will definitely consider a level of about 2.8Vol in my homebrewed sours.

I’m not sure if this is my favorite between the three, but I believe it may have the most present oak character. Personally, I still prefer a Flanders sour such as Rodenbach Grand Cru or Liefmans Goudenband. Those beers have the same sour and oak characteristics, but also give you more malt depth. Just a stylistic preference, really.[/quote]

comparing flanders red to lambic is a huge difference