Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Double IPA at a standstill

Evening all,

I pretty much know what I’m going to do, but thought I would discuss this with those that are more knowledgeable. I brewed a double IPA two weeks ago. The OG was 1.072 and I used a 1.5 liter starter of white labs American Ale yeast blend. After a week, I moved the beer to room temp after discovering that it was still at 1.030. It has been another week and the beer has dropped slightly to 1.026. I roused the yeast today by swirling my fermenter for a second or two. At this point should I:

A) Be patient, wait another week with beer at room temp., and hope to see it drop a few more points.

0r-

B) Pitch a packet of nottingham that I have in the fridge

Or-

Rack beer of three weeks off of a cake (Rye pale ale) of BRY-97 and then rack Double IPA onto it?

I have a few options. If it were your beer, what would you do? BTW, I’m hoping for an FG around 1.012, but then again, the yeast are in charge.

Thanks-

David

Scratch the cake idea. Here is what I might do after doing some reading. Wait 1 more week. If still high, create a starter and pitch starter at high krausen.

Waiting is (almost) always the right first step for any brewing problem. If waiting doesn’t produce the result you want, I agree with pitching more yeast; US-05 is a reliable, inexpensive alternative to a liquid with starter.

Wait, raise the temp and rouse the yeast again.

The beer has been at a temp of 78 degrees for a week. Swirled yesterday and today. Planning on waiting a week.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com