Dortmund Export

I’ve just finished a keg of a German Pils in which i used a Dortmund style water profile. I really enjoyed what it brought out. I guess I would call it a slight bitterness in the aftertaste. Im starting to try and understand the nuances between the German vs Bohemian pilsner style. Next up will be a true Dortmund style I hope. What I have so far is a recipe I believe similar to the German Pils but useing a combination of pilsner, munich, and vienna malt. Anybody else brew this style?

Your recipe sounds typical like a JZ type recipe. Personally I’d use <5% Vienna or Munich. This style needs to be dominated by Pilsner malt.

I should not be honest, but I will be anyway… I don’t know if I can taste a difference between pilsner and Dortmunder export. Fiddle with the water if you like, but I can’t taste it. I must have a bad palate.

But yeah, you appear to be in the right ballpark. Just keep the Pilsner malt shining above everything else, that’s what you need.

Cheers.

2 Likes

well my recipe is about 65% pilsner. I have a beer drinking friend who was drinking my Bohemian and he said nice but how come it doesnt have the pilsner aftertaste. at first i didnt know what he meant. This inspired me to try and brew a Northern German style pils with a nerthern German water profile. When he tasted it he said that it had the aftertaste. So because of the gypsum it did enhance the bitterness so im assuming that is what he was refering to. It was the exact same recipe as my Bohemian style.

I must add if he didnt focus my attention on what he called an aftertaste I may not have noticed much difference.

Jever is one pils I’ve had that has that bitterness and it persists.

Made in Jever, OstFriesland, near where my family was originally from.(Landkreis Leer, town of Filsum).

3 Likes

Thats from Michael Jackson

1 Like

My people are from further south where they brew more towards the Bohemian way

You know reading the Micheal Jackson world beer guide has gotten me to recognize even though alot are German breweries brew a Pilsner they all try to make them stand out. Doubt they would delibertly try and “clone” a beer. I like that part

Ingredients of award winning Great Lakes Brewing Dortmunder Gold are on their website. I always enjoy this beer.

1 Like

Link?

Click on the red type

they can call it what they want but thats not a Dortmund

1 Like

I disagree. With exception of the lack of noble hops is fits the style guide fairly well. Hey it’s even depicted on the wiki page for the style and wikipedia never lies LOL

Dortmunder/European-Style
Export
Color: Straw to deep gold
Clarity: Appearance should be clear. Chill haze should not be present
Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Sweet malt character should be low and should not be caramelly Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Very low to low, derived from noble-type hops.
Perceived bitterness: Medium
Fermentation Characteristics: Fruity esters and diacetyl should not be present.
Body: Medium
Additional notes: Traditionally, German-style Export beers were brewed to higher gravity/higher alcohol than domestic beers to promote longer shelf-life in export markets.
Original Gravity (°Plato) 1.048-1.057 (11.9-14 °Plato) • Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (°Plato) 1.010- 1.014 (2.6-3.6 °Plato) • Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 4.0%-4.8% (5.1%-6.1%) • Hop Bitterness (IBU) 23-29 • Color SRM (EBC) 3-6 (6-12 EBC)

Its an American Lager but they can call it what they want

You should explain your thesis then. You’re not going for the sulphur character of the region’s water I suppose. Dortmunder Export is a Pilsen-esque beer from my understanding

Crystal 60L ? For what purpose? Definitely not to style.

1 Like

Then Cascade hops again for what purpose in a beer that only uses hops for bitterness.

1 Like