Dog fish 90 minute

Anyone have a clone recipie for dogfish head 90 minute IPA? I love the stuff and am curious what’s in it. I love super hoppy but not super bitter beers in general. What’s the closest NB kit to it?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dogfish+head+90min+clone

:cheers:

Anyone have advice on the hopping schedule doing this? Obviously it’s tough to determine the bittering charge vs flavor/aroma based on alpha %. I’m really after that characteristic super hoppy, not that bitter flavor that makes this brew so good but I don’t want to get the bitterness too high or low…

I’ve had to do some reading on that part, and it looks like the most helpful thing you can do is find out how to hopback the wort: basically create a device whereby the chilling wort can be tightly run through a tube packed with hops. At least that’s how I understand it.

That’s “first wort hopping”, and I don’t think it’s used in 90 minute IPA, though it is a thought…

Any comments from anyone who’s brewed this or something similar?

I just brewed a clone of this Monday. The recipe came from BYO. It’s very similar to the one that shows up first in the previously posted link. Same hopping schedule but a little more amber malt.

For the hopping schedule, I mixed the 5 oz of hops then added 7grams every 7.5 minutes. I did not use a hopsack as I believe you can get very close without it.

I also didn’t bother adjusting the hop additions for differences in AA between those listed in the recipe and actual as they were close enough.

Too soon to tell if its a “clone” but the samples taste great.

[quote=“Demus”]That’s “first wort hopping”, and I don’t think it’s used in 90 minute IPA, though it is a thought…

Any comments from anyone who’s brewed this or something similar?[/quote]

First wort hopping is when you add hops to the brew kettle as it fills with the wort from your mash… before the boil begins.

Running the boiled then cooled wort through a hop back device is completely different. It adds a lot of aroma and flavor from the hops that would be otherwise boiled off in the kettle.

I do believe DFH does use a hop back for most of their beers.

You’re right, I mis-read his post. The hop-back on the chiller is a cool idea and I use a plate chiller with a pump so I’m set up for it. Know of any models that aren’t as pricey the Blichman?

So I read the recipie and am having trouble finding Thomas Fawcett amber malt. Has anyone brewed this with a substitute they liked? I was thinking maybe Carared or Melanoiden. Thoughts?