Does removing hops before cooling affect flavor?

I was contemplating buying a hop spider but since I use an immersion chiller I would need to remove the hops to stir the wort for chilling. It got me thinking, does this have any affect on the hops flavoring? Normally I would chill the wort with the hops in there. Just wondering if anyone has done any sort of experiment on the effects of flavor/aroma of hops removing before chilling or after. I assume it’s probably minimal but just curious what others have experienced.

Why do you have to remove the spider to stir?

I’d guess you might get a little more aroma out of a FO addition if you left them in while chilling.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]

I’d guess you might get a little more aroma out of a FO addition if you left them in while chilling.[/quote]
I would agree with that. But for anything non-hop oriented, I’d say it won’t make a difference. I use a hop sack in the boil for beers I want to harvest the yeast from, for a cleaner yeast cake, and I take the bag out before chilling. But I don’t do that for anything hop forward.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]Why do you have to remove the spider to stir?
[/quote]

kcbeersnob linked this in another thread and it caught my eye :
http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Hop-Spider-with-seam-welds_p_158.html

This wouldn’t leave a whole lot of room with, the hop spider, brewmometer and IC to do a whole lot of stirring in my 10gal brew kettle.

I know what you mean, theres a lot of stuff in a fairly small area with a tall 10gal kettle. All you really have to do, though, is keep the liquid moving around some, just a little back and forth motion is enough to keep the liquid moving over the coils. You don’t need a whirlpool motion since your hops aren’t in the bottom, the trub doesn’t really pile up it just settles to the bottom once you let it sit still.

You could always upgrade to a March pump and whirlpool with that, it works like a charm but is relatively expensive. The pump is handy in a few different applications.

Or better yet, use the hop spider to double as a stirrer :wink:

OK that’s my creative thought for the day. Quota met

Or better yet, use the hop spider to double as a stirrer :wink:

OK that’s my creative thought for the day. Quota met[/quote]

Hmmmm…You could be onto something here…