Do you think growlers really work to keep beer carbonated?

This is the second time now that I have filled a couple of growlers with beer to empty a keg that I wanted to clean and re-keg with a new batch. It seems that the beer stays pretty carbonated for about 24 hours and then starts to go flat pretty quickly. I’m using a glass growler with the metal screw top.

What are your experiences with growlers?
Has anyone used the small CO2 canisters?

I have found that growlers work well for taking some beer to a party for the evening but pretty useless beyond that. But maybe I’m not doing something right or maybe adding the CO2 cartridge would maintain carbonation for a few more days.

Thanks in advance!

That’s my experience as well. Growlers aren’t rated to very high pressures, so I wouldn’t use co2 cartridges. It might work better if you filled the growler with a bottle wand stuck in the end of a picnic tap and filled with low pressure, not releasing much co2. But you’ll still lose carbonation in a couple days.

People were all psyched when they legalized growlers in Maryland when I lived there. I personally think they kind of suck in most cases. Accurate carbonation is such a huge part of serving and enjoying beer, and to your point, growlers usually lose some. Obviously, the beer isn’t absent of carbonation, but its not nearly as dead on as if it’s in a bottle.

As a homebrewer, it is a great move if you are a kegger. I do generally like to bottle a 12-pack or more off of each keg, but a good growler is ultimate convenience. FWIW, chilling the growler to or below beer temp will help against carb loss.

Finally, the lid should seal it pretty well, and keep carb for at least 2 weeks (if unopened).

I fill growlers from my keg (picnic tap with wand) all the time. I have gone as long as 2 months with no perceived carbonation loss. As stated above; chill the growlers before filling.

Picnic tap and wand makes a big difference. This is the way I fill bottles off the keg. Anyone want to buy a Blichmann beer gun?

I have never had any issues either. But once you open and pour you need to drink the rest soon. The CO2 comes out of solution until the pressure is equalized in the growler.

Also, I have had better luck by replacing the metal cap with the black plastic ones

[quote=“560sdl”]Also, I have had better luck by replacing the metal cap with the black plastic ones[/quote]There are two types of metal caps. The first ones have a cardboard seal/gasket in the cap and they last a couple days at best. The second type has a caulk type waterial around the inside of the cap where it mates up with the glass. I have had these last for more than a year. Get rid of the crappy caps with the cardboard sealed cap.

These are the only way to go IMO with growlers. No carb loss at all. Also, try using a 2- liter pop bottle with a carbonator cap if you want to add carbonation to tapped beer for the short term or long term for that matter.

^^^This

I’ve had a lot better luck with the plastic caps than the metal ones for hold carb.

[quote=“My1stPony”]This is the second time now that I have filled a couple of growlers with beer to empty a keg that I wanted to clean and re-keg with a new batch. It seems that the beer stays pretty carbonated for about 24 hours and then starts to go flat pretty quickly. I’m using a glass growler with the metal screw top.

What are your experiences with growlers?
Has anyone used the small CO2 canisters? … [/quote]

Here’s an option for you. A 3L or 6L container with a tap. You can empty a keg into one (or more) of these, and keep it carbonated.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=119596

-kenc

No problem holding pressure… until it’s opened, of course.

+1

I mainly use a swing top growler with a rubber gasket.

If it’s not holding carb than your cap is leaking, where else is the co2 going? Also make sure you fill it to the top with beer you want very little head space.