Do I need to use DME to make a starter?

As the topic reads, do I need to use DME to make a starter or is there something else I can use? Corn sugar? Table sugar? Any help is appreciated.

Just googled this. In short, no. Yeast needs to maltose not dextrose.

You could use LME or an all grain mash, but DME is the easiest way to make the starter wort.

My problem is the LHBS is about 35 miles from my home. I was hoping to avoid a trip but it looks like I’ll be visiting them soon.

I have a 3 year-old bag of DME I use for starters. If you are just growing yeast with it, buy some in bulk and stick it in a tupperware container. Note decanting the spent starter beer off the yeast will become more important as the DME gets older.

Does your new brew have extract in it? You could short the beer 3 or 4 ounces to make the starter.

Thanks for all of the ideas. Decided to just make a run this weekend to the LHBS.

grab a big container of DME while you are there. I’ve been using mine for over a year for starters.

+1 on the bulk buying of DME. I usually get the biggest bag they have and it will last for a while with ales and for a few months if I do back to back to back lagers.

I ran out as I was making my starter for a Helles and made a one liter stater and had to but two more Wyeast smack packs, so it was a costly oversight and now I buy in bulk any chance I get.

I used corn sugar for a starter once when I didn’t realize I’d run out of DME. Looked a little funny, but worked just fine.