DIPA Recipe Assist

Looking to brew my first own recipe DIPA by amping one of my current IPAs. I just added in the sugar at the end, upped the hops, and split the 2-row between American and Marris Otter. Input and ideas welcome.

Original Gravity:1.088 IBU: 95

7 lb (42.4%) American 2-row
7 lb (42.4%) Maris Otter
.5 lb (3.0%) Crystal Malt 40°L
2 lb (12.1%) Corn Sugar @ 5 minutes
1.0 oz Simcoe® (12.7%) @ 60 minutes
2 oz Amarillo® (10.4%) - @ 15 minutes
2 oz Amarillo® (10.4%) - @ 5 mnutes

1 ea White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale

[quote=“mlsouth”]Looking to brew my first own recipe DIPA by amping one of my current IPAs. I just added in the sugar at the end, upped the hops, and split the 2-row between American and Marris Otter. Input and ideas welcome.
Original Gravity:1.088 IBU: 95
7 lb (42.4%) American 2-row
7 lb (42.4%) Maris Otter
.5 lb (3.0%) Crystal Malt 40°L
2 lb (12.1%) Corn Sugar @ 5 minutes
1.0 oz Simcoe® (12.7%) @ 60 minutes
2 oz Amarillo® (10.4%) - @ 15 minutes
2 oz Amarillo® (10.4%) - @ 5 minutes
1 ea White Labs WLP023 Burton Ale[/quote]

Should be good. I like the simcoe amarillo combination.
The only thing I’d do different is to use them in a blend instead of separately.

Dry hops?

I’m sure your recipe would make a fine beer. But if you are asking for personal preference…

My personal taste would prefer the Simcoe : Amarillo ratio of about 2:1, in the flavor and aroma additions. I like the flowery/citrus of the Amarillo to cut the more pungent flavor of the simcoe, but for me, too much of the Amarillo can become a detracting flavor.

And again, just my personal taste, but my experience with MO malt in west coast styles favors using a lesser percentage in the base malt bill. I prefer 80 : 20 ratio of 2-row : MO. I like the MO to add a bit of complexity on top of the small crystal addition, but too much becomes too bready/biscuit in a way I do not prefer in super hoppy styles.

I will dry hop with the same in all likelihood but open to suggestions. Good feedback on the MO and the hop ratios.

What about combining the Simcoe & Amarillo like recommended above and using Magnum or Warrior for the bittering addition? Anyone done that on a DIPA?

You can do that, simcoe gives a smooth bitterness like warrior or magnum IIRC.

Some things I like to do in my DIPAs are:

1. use hop extract for bittering, this lends a very clean bitterness for the late addition hops to sit upon. Northern Brewer sells it under the name Hop Shot. 10ml for 5 gallons works well.
  2. forgo boiling flavor additions at 20, 15, 10, or 5 minutes and use big hop additions at zero minutes and do a whirlpool steep at 180degrees for half an hour or so. 3-4oz for each addition.
  3. add dissolved white sugars after pitching when the beer’s at high krausen–2 pounds is surely the upper limit I’d ever use.
  4. two dry hoping stages after primary fermentation is done for no more than 5 days each.

This gives you knock-your-socks-off explosive hop aromas and flavors, and a nice bite of bitterness. You can play around with the varieties and see what hop combos work well and which ones you really like.

Anyway… some ideas from my “experiments”

FWIW, I’m not a fan of MO in American styles.

Based on great feedback and some more reading-how about this?:

75% American 2-row
10%-Light Munich
3%-C40
12%-Corn Sugar

2/3 to 1/3 Simcoe/Amarillo @ 60, 15, 5, and dry hop

WYeast American Ale II Yeast

OG: 1.086 Estimated ABV: 9.0%

IBU: 99 (Approximately 50% @ 60 and 50% @ 15 and 5)

On a APA that I brewed last year I bittered with bravo and finished with simcoe/amarillo. It was very good.
On an CDA/IIPA I just did I also bittered with bravo, but finished with simcoe, summit, and amarillo. I dry hopped with simcoe, summit, amarillo, and saphir.
Later today I’ll be serving the CDA/IIPA at a homebrew Beerfest.

Just curious, is there any advantage to Corn sugar over regular table sugar in the recipe?

No advantage whatsoever. Table sugar is fine.

I prefer corn sugar. Never noticed any difference in the final product. It just seems to be much finer. I’ll totally admit there’s no experiments behind this and I’ve never had issues with table sugar. That said, it just feels to me like it’s going to disolve more quickly leaving less risk for it reaching the bottom of the kettle, and scorching. For me it’s really just peace of mind, but if I’m out of corn sugar I have no issues using table sugar.

Its exciting!!