Different lager yeast

according to my memory I used 34/70 previously for my lager series and thought I had good results. At some point I switched to the WY Bavarian lager yeast for my go to lager yeast. With a problem with my local store having supply issues I used the 34/70 this season. Not that happy with all the results. The last couple pitches were less than stellar. They seemed to need a longer lagering period to get clean. Next season ill go back to Bavarian.

3 Likes

I think in leu of my equipment issues… I’ll go back to Ales… I’ll do the same grainbills tho… well, and some Ale styles… I’ll always keep an eye out for some tasty Lager styles I still enjoy…
Sneezles61

Same here did brew lagers. But me lean more to ales. Its easier and cheap to buy case a lager from any kind of beer. Sort off. And my fam does like ale ipa heffe. Stout. Home brew

I’ve never had issues with 34/70 (Wy2124). It usually cleans and clears quickly for me.

1 Like

Same. 34/70, the Weihenstephaner lager yeast, has been my go to since losing our local Wyeast outpost. Good clear attenuator.
However, it’s a living thing(s), shrugs, not everyone will have the same experiences. I know @dannyboy58 was not a fan.

im thinking it may have mutated because the 1st two pitches were fine. On #3 it had a lemony taste that eventually cleared that was a Dortmund with German Tradition hops. Thought it could be the water or the hops. Next I did a similar beer just using a standard water profile with tettnang got the same thing maybe not as pronunced though

I have been using Diamond and S-23 and am having good results with both. Did a Dunkel that is nice and clean and currently fermenting second generation S-23 a Cream Lager.

1 Like

Diamond lager is reportedly the same as 34/70, or VERY similar. I’ve used Diamond and didn’t notice too much of a difference. I confess I’ve never compared them side by side. Seems I drink them too fast. :joy:

2 Likes

never used diamond but have used S-23. it made some nice lagers I think I remember it being slow to start. Actually this last Series of lagers with the 34/70 lagged as well. Maybe that was the problem the lag time. Next order ill try something different. I do like the convience of dry yeast

1 Like

I don’t see a need for wet yeast in my brewery now that dry has sooo many options.
Sneezles61

1 Like

I agree. Not only options but the quality has improved drastically.

1 Like

My favorites for dried yeast are Diamond and S-189. The latter is very clean, to the point of being kind of bland, while the Diamond is as close as I can find to a traditional German lager yeast in dried form. But you are right, you can never go wrong with 2206.

1 Like