Did I mess up my first yeast starter

So I did my first yeast starter Sat morning, let it go got a good 12-14 hours in the stir plate, I think I did everything just right. Then I was going to brew this morning, so about 1-2am I put the flask with a foam stopper in the fridge to decant.

Got up, things got busy and unfortunately I did not get to brew. Decided I would do it tomorrow (Monday) night). Off to church I go, and as I am sitting there it dawns on me I still had the foam stopper in flask. And still do. in the fridge

My Question - Am I ok in regards to bacteria and sanitation or am I hosed because I did not replace foam stopper with an air lock? I just know normally everything needs to get sanitized and the sealed tight BUT I also know while doing the starter the foam plug or tin foil is ok since you want oxygen at that point.

but once it went in the fridge is the yeast going to get spoiled since it is still an open air environment? Or will it be ok? I am not worried about the oxygen. I am worried about getting infected.

this batch is for kind of a big party in late July, so I don’t want to hose it up. is the yeast ok to use or shuld I stop by my close by home brew shop, get new yeast for this batch, and just try again some other time?

relax

Read your post again. Then ask yourself what the difference is from having a foam stopper while on the stir plate verses while in the fridge.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]relax

Read your post again. Then ask yourself what the difference is from having a foam stopper while on the stir plate verses while in the fridge.[/quote]

thanks, I thought I read it was fine for a bit of time, but then again just wanted to be sure

The vortex of the starter on the stir plate is sucking air, through the foam stopper into the wort.

In the fridge, there is not that same air movement.

If it would spoil, it would more likely happen on the stir plate.

Thanks for the replies. Having said all of that, I still think if I decided to chill and decant, I wouldn’t want to let it sit around for too long right? I assume I will aim for 1-2 days at most. or at least I assume I wouldn’t jus tlet it hang out in the fridge for a week that way.

IMO, 2-3 weeks in the fridge.

After that a new starter, small, to wake them up.