did i kill my yeast?

Brewing heffeveisen. og 1.048. this is only my second batch but my first beer started fermenting really well after only a few hours. its been about 12 hours now and no bubbles, no krausen, nothing… only thing i can think is most of my yeast died:-/ i has them in some warm sani water this time maybe 115f for 10-20 min but i didnt think that would kill them… also i seemed to not have as much physical volume as my last wyeast pack… idk but im worried. should i be?

airlock activity does not mean fermentation activity. Please remember this.

What is the ambient temp around it? I would start by saying don’t touch this beer for a week, then take a sample with a clean, sanitized thief or turkey baster and see where your gravity is.

Is there any chance your fermenter lid is loose, gasket around the airlock is loose, or a stopper is loose? Its weird that the bubbles stopped and is likely something else. Yeast are resilient little beasties.

Ambient temp is between 65-70 depending on if the door is open or not. there is no issues with the bung in the carboy.

It can take up to 72hrs for signs of active fermentation to start. I bet it’s going within the next 12hrs though.

RDWHAHB :cheers:

I guess ill have to justbe patient. if nothing does happen i suppose i can always pitch more yeast right? also i have started to get some activity, my beer is pulling air in thru the airlock what is the reason for this and should i be worried about airborne bacteria being pulled in past the sanitizer?

It’s pretty early, but take gravity readings a couple days in a row and see what you get.

Either that or RDWHAHB!

RDWHAHB=wut?

bad news… i went and had a look at my carboy again, and i have a full sized yeast cake settled on the bottom as if a full fermentation already happened… still no airlock activity whatsoever and it has now been 24 hours. i’m frustrated, confused, anxious, and a little angry at this point, idk what to do nb is closed tomorrow and this will just bother the hell out of me until i figure out what the deal is. could i try and agitate the yeast cake? is there any possibility what little yeast that survived may reproduce enough to have a very late fermentation?
any yeast experts out there please help me!

[quote=“dobe12”]It can take up to 72hrs for signs of active fermentation to start. I bet it’s going within the next 12hrs though.

RDWHAHB :cheers: [/quote]

Relax…

[quote=“Nighthawk”]
Relax…[/quote]

+1… seriously. If you have a full yeast cake, that means the yeast had to reproduce enough to make the yeast cake, which means they at some point did their job. Relax, take the above advice and take gravity readings to be sure.

EDIT: The most valuable brewing advice I ever got was to completely ignore the fermentor for at least two weeks after you pitch. More often than not you’ll screw up your batch more by trying to compensate for imaginary mistakes.

If you are using a smack pack with out a starter, I doubt that fermentation is finished. Let alone started.

Is there any sign of krausen on the side of the fermenter?

no sign of krausen

[quote=“CliffordBrewing”][quote=“Nighthawk”]
Relax…[/quote]

EDIT: The most valuable brewing advice I ever got was to completely ignore the fermentor for at least two weeks after you pitch. More often than not you’ll screw up your batch more by trying to compensate for imaginary mistakes.[/quote]
This.

I repeat, this.

if its is a 1.048 batch then one smack pack is just fine. no harm will come by letting it sit a few days. Relax, have a beer, review yourself on your brew process, think about equipment upgrades and plan your next batch.

Once I put the air lock on a fermentor, I check it for the first few days for proper temp and blow outs and then I forget about it for three weeks.

Thiefed a sample and got 1.055 whereas my og was 1.048… it has been 36 hours at this point. my yeast are dead. i am going to call nb tomorrow when they open and try and figure out what went wrong for me. good thing i didnt relax and let it go 3 weeks idk how long wort can stay good for if not fermenting but hopefully i can just pitch again and have a fine beer.

As mentioned, 72 hours. Give the yeast time to multiply and get going.

The rise in OG is normal when you partial boil/extract brew. It is extremely difficult to get the top off water and wort mixed completely. So you either get a high or low reading. After a couple of days the sugars mix and you get a better reading.

Like it have been said, relax… Unless you froze your yeast they are still alive and getting ready to go to town.

Did you use dry yeast, a Wyeast smack pack or a White Lab vial?

If a smack pack, did you smack it and did if puff up? If it puffed up it’s alive.

Dry yeast, it’s alive.

WL, 99% sure it’s alive. Only way to tell is making a starter.

hey, carbonzx, you learn to relax yet? find anyone knowledgeable yet?

Right, relax and don’t touch anything else until at least 72 hours after you pitched the yeast.

I wish this forum had way of delaying these yeast posts until at least 72 hours :mrgreen:

[quote=“560sdl”]Right, relax and don’t touch anything else until at least 72 hours after you pitched the yeast.

I wish this forum had way of delaying these yeast posts until at least 72 hours :mrgreen: [/quote]
good call!

Yeah edward i did i searched somewhere else and found a few threads where people had similar issues and when they posted looking for input they got some scientific informative answers about what could have happened and what could be done to fix it. it was interesting and educational reading the thought out responses. Granted there were a few here like that but few and far between and i was still left with some unanswered questions. i can say i am now more educated about the first 72 hours of yeast life.