Did I kill my beer?

I’m brewing an ale and according to the calculator I was linked to at mrmalty.com used exact amount of yeast I was told to pitch. She took right off burping and had a thin layer of Kräusen.

Now second day into fermenting it slowed down considerably. A rate of 2 burps a min. The surrounding room temp is roughly 74f and the stick on temp reading of the fermenter is saying it’s about 80f inside there! Every thing I read says I should be around 66f-76f I want to ask before I cool the room more to bring the temp down if this is normal and if it is going to take back off again? Should I add more yeast? BTW I am using Munton’s Active Brewing Yeast

Again I am sorry for asking questions I am sure that have been posted but I am having troubles wording my questions for searches, keep being lead to things I already seen.

yeast will never not ferment because it is too warm (unless you are HOT). So you did not kill it, but you are way too warm. You want have beer temps in the low 60’s and stay as far away from mid 70’s as you can, even though the package says that is fine.

You were so warm that you likely fermented out in a day. Not the best thing for the flavor of your beer, but does not mean it is a dumper. Hard to tell

:stuck_out_tongue: Thanks, I had little hope left as it’s hasn’t stopped burping out the airlock. Far as you saying temps in the mid 60’s that’s surrounding temp right? I just ask I was reading this online book and he says “The internal temperature of the fermentor can be as much as 10F above ambient conditions, just due to yeast activity” or should I keep it cooler so the internal temp doesn’t hit over the range?

Cooler. I shoot for ambient (room) temp of about 58 degrees so that my beer ferments at 62 to 64 degrees.

This should tell you how hot yours really got!

[quote=“560sdl”]Cooler. I shoot for ambient (room) temp of about 58 degrees so that my beer ferments at 62 to 64 degrees.

This should tell you how hot yours really got![/quote]

Yeah, ouch! Live and Learn. Hopefully it still turns out drinkable. Least I know now what I need to do for my “first real batch” I’ll chalk this one up to as I stated before in my puzzled post, a learner/experimental. :frowning: really wanted to have this right the first time, all the reading and prepping before I even consider my boil just couldn’t ready me for these issues.

Thanks again for the replies 560sdl

I know this is the Yeast & Fermentation board, but while I have you here, would it hurt me to test out and learn racking to a secondary on this batch?

No and aging this batch a while might be the best thing for it. Problem is you will be anxious to try it.

Maybe you should bottle 50% and rack 50% to secondary and see what you think, if there is a difference.

See my signature line for ways to keep the fermenting beer’s temp down.