Did I jump the gun on my diacetyl rest?

I’m pretty new to lagers… I’m doing a Bock and using WY2206, and after about nine days, the airlock activity was almost stopped. So, I pulled it out of my fermentation chamber (@ 48F) to my basement temps (currently @ 66F). The airlock activity has re-started (not full-blown fermentation-bubbling, but bubbling more).

Did I jump the gun? If so, what impact will this have on my 1.070 OG beer?

Thanks!

Could be a couple of things. When the beer warms up the CO2 will “come out of solution” and cause the bubbles, and/or the yeast may be active once again, which also causes bubbles. Generally a hydrometer reading is a better way to determine when to do a diacetyl rest, for a couple of reasons. To determine if fermentation is almost done and a taste to see if a diacetyl rest is even necessary. I’d say you’re probably okay at this point. Cheers!!!

I don’t think you jumped the gun. I’ve read a lot about guys who start the diacetyl rest right at the end of active fermentation. Give it a week, then move to lagering. But yeah, gravity is a good way to check when it’s ready to move to the next stage. I read somewhere that someone’s standard procedure is to get the gravity down to 1.020, then raise the temp up to 60F or so for a week.

I think you’ll be fine - that’s pretty close to what i do.

I’ve got a similar, somewhat philosophical question. I think erring on the side of ramping up too early is preferable to ramping too late.

I’d assume that for maximized ‘clean up’ activity it would be ideal to ramp temps while the yeast are still somewhat active, still in suspension, etc. Rather than waiting three weeks when they’re all sitting at the bottom of the fermenter.

I don’t mean to mix apples and oranges, but I will since I can’t find relevant information. All of my ale ferments start around 64 degrees for 36 hours, then are ramped to 68-70 until they finish. Thought process is that most flavor production occurs during yeast growth phase. After 36 hours the flavor profile is somewhat ‘locked in’.

Can anyone comment on this concept as applied to lager yeast? Could one pitch and ferment cold, say 48 degrees for 4 days. Then ramp immediately to, say 60 degrees, until the beer clears?

Could one expect a solid lager with this accelerated schedule?

Bump