Did Hops direct raise shipping rates?

I was just ready to order 6 pounds of hops. When I had shipping added in it added $18.00 to the order!
I thought I always paid around $9-11. This adds about $3 per pound. I think I can buy them at the local brew shop for that price.

No. Their rates have always been shitty.

I haven’t noticed an increase compared to last year. If there was an increase, it must have been fairly modest and was likely due to FedEx rate increases.

The only difference I see from last year is that they were a little less generous with overfilling. Can’t complain about that, though. Overfilling is still overfilling. :smiley:

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]I haven’t noticed an increase compared to last year. If there was an increase, it must have been fairly modest and was likely due to FedEx rate increases.

The only difference I see from last year is that they were a little less generous with overfilling. Can’t complain about that, though. Overfilling is still overfilling. :smiley: [/quote]

Shipping rate increases come every year like clock work. :frowning:
Raise shipping rate or less generous overfill? I know which one I vote for.

I just ordered 2 lbs and the total cost came to 47.00. Not that great of a deal, but at least I know they are 2013 crop.
At my lhbs I really don’t know the age of the hops.

I placed an order with Hops Direct for a couple of pounds on 11/4, I believe I was charged $14 for shipping…looks like they are finally scheduled to be delivered today, 11 days for those counting at home. Anyone else experience abnormally long shipping times? Comparatively I ordered a couple of pounds from Yakima Valley on the same day(couldn’t get all the varieties I was looking for at 1 site), paid $6 for shipping and received the shipment on 11/6. I’ve never ordered from either before this but found the discrepancy in shipping rates/times to be surprising, especially after everything I’ve read on this forum about how much people like dealing with Hops Direct.

I have too dealt with long shipping times with them. I lately have been much happier with yakima valley.

And getting a couple extra oz’s usually doesn’t make up for the high shipping rates. For example. Cascade is 12.20 a pound.
0.76/oz. Getting an extra 2 oz’s = $1.53 of free hops. That doesn’t make up for awesome triple the shipping rates of other hop suppliers.

I’ve probably placed 6 orders with them before and they have consistently shipped within 1-2 business days and FedEx delivers to KC in 4 more days. I buy leaf hops–usually before pellets are released. I bet their orders are backed up more after they start releasing pellets.