Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Diacetyl Question

Does wort ferment vigorously during a diacetyl rest ? Making a pilsner, had vigorous fermentation in the primary at 52 degrees. As fermentation came to a visible standstill, I proceeded to raise the temp to the mid 60’s. But is no visible increase in fermentation of diacetyl. Is this normal?

A diacetyl rest should not produce any additional signs of fermentation. If any, they would be very mild.

2 Likes

You may have warmed ot prematurely. Better to let it ferment longer at the lower temp. May get some off flavor

1 Like

IIRC a diacetyl rest is performed when you’ve reached 2/3 of your anticipated FG… yeah pretty difficult to measure at the Homebrew level. So, with that said you can raise temps the second you see a lack in ‘fermentation’ or… you can do a ‘quick’ lager fermentation where you start at 50° and after about 4 days of ACTUAL fermentation start ramping the temps up by 1-2° per day. Your off flavors are created quickly into fermentation (around 3 days) so by warming it up your yeast will start cleaning up the byproducts.

2 Likes

That makes sense. I’ll generally ferment 49° for 2 weeks then do as you say incrementally raise to about 60° leave it a couple days then incrementally down to cold crash. Takes time but I guess its all part of the lagering process. @bpoppp doesn’t offer how long the beer was fermenting do we are just speculating until we get more information

I ferment at 50° for a week then start ramping the temps up 1-2° per day. That usually puts me at around 65° at the 2 week mark. I’ll let it sit for 3 days then crash it down to 35-36°. Depending on what I have going on I’ll let it sit to clear. Might be a few days, might be a couple weeks if I have time.

Primary for 7 or 8 days then zip. OG around 1.079 pitched 2 Lallemand Diamond dry yeast after rehydrating. Hit it with 60 seconds of O2. Fermented at 52 ish. Started to raise temp for d rest but dropped back down per replies to my questions. Will let it ferment for another week or two then try the d rest again, then crash it. I appreciate the input. Any more thoughts?

Have you taken any hydrometer readings? I don’t understand why you would need two more weeks of fermentation if you are at or near terminal gravity.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com