Dennys BVIP?

Im sure I could search, but…

DO i need to sanitize the vanilla beans in any way? Soak in a little booze??

Also I have really gotten in Ole Smoky Moonshine…would this work as a bourbon replacement?
Thanks

In my experience moonshine is aged in glass during the time it takes to deliver it. Straight Bourbon is aged in new charred white oak barrels for at least four years.

Moonshine is an alcohol delivery system. Bourbon is a sublime experience.

1 Like

I soaked my beans in a little bit of Pappy Van Winkle bourbon. I won a gold medal with this beer FWIW. It’s an awesome recipe.

I just split them, dumped them in a carboy and racked the beer on top of it for two weeks. Added a cup and a half of Woodford reserve at bottling. Really well balanced… I took an HM in BOS with it when it was still relatively young.

We throw a Christmas party every year where we do 10 courses of hand passed h’or dourves and desserts for about 40 people. It’s a logistical nightmare but one of our desserts this year was a mellonball sized scoop of vanilla icecream and about about two ounces of the BVIP. It was amazing.

It’s just about a year old and I still have 8 or so left. I break one out every now and again when my beer friends are around. There is a lot going on in this beer but it’s perfectly balanced. The vanilla has faded a bit but is still noticable after all this time. Definately need to brew this one again.

tips cap to Denny

I just bottled a batch to hand out as presents this year. God I love that recipe. :cheers:

[attachment=1]BVIP 1.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]BVIP2.jpg[/attachment]

[quote=“hoppyguy”]I just bottled a batch to hand out as presents this year. God I love that recipe. :cheers:

[attachment=1]BVIP 1.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]BVIP2.jpg[/attachment][/quote]

I like the labels. to wax, do you just melt the wax in a double broiler than dip the bottles in upside down for a few seconds?

Good looking lables and seals :cheers:

I bought a small crockpot for $10 at BB&B, it works perfect for waxing the bottles. The only reason I started doing this was because I brewed a Barleywine and plan on aging it for a long time. Plus, it looks damn cool.

[quote=“gosioux”]Im sure I could search, but…

DO i need to sanitize the vanilla beans in any way? Soak in a little booze??[/quote]

No. I never do anything but split it, scrape it, and put it in the secondary.

If the moonshine tastes like bourbon, you could sub it. If it doesn’t, you’ll be making a different beer.

PS Denny, gotta give credit where credit is due. 3 of my beers on tap right now are yours, thank you sir. :cheers:

[attachment=0]22 BVIP Label.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks for the shout out!