Denny's 50

This is probably a question best answered by Denny but how was this yeast created and how does it differ from others ale yeast strains? I just got done making a starter for Denny’s Rye IPA (which I’ve yet to brew until now) and this simple question crossed my mind. So?

Thanks.

Where Denny propagated it from was a company called Brewtek yeast.

http://web.archive.org/web/200012180655 ... /yeast.htm http://web.archive.org/web/200012180655 ... .html#cl50

Yeast:
CL-50 Cal Pub
Type:
Ale
Flocculation:
Normal
Atten%:
74 to 76%
Temperature:
60-70° F

Info found away from Brewteks old site that has the same descriptors but notice the highlighted text below that gives additional info.

CL50 California Pub Ale
Classic American small-brewery flavor.
Leaves big, soft, well-rounded malt flavor.
Threshold diacetyl and ester support the silky profile, even in well-hopped beers.
Good for American red and pale ales.

Denny have you ever tracked down its original source brewery?

If this info has not been located then what makes this yeast special to you where you kept it over these years where 1056/1272 were always available as well as CL50 along with other brewtek, yeastlab, yeast culture kit strains being available still to this day from BSI?

Regarding the highlighted text, I am now also intrigued and looked to some basic known facts about the other American ale Wyeast/ Whitelabs strains.
Threshold diacetyl and ester support the silky profile
Taste threshold of Diacetyl = 0.08 mg/l
Taste threshold of Ethyl Acetate = 30-50 mg/l (Esters)
Taste threshold of Isoamyl Acetate = 1-2 mg/l (Esters)
A. Wyeast 1056/ WLP001
Diacetyl = 0.027 to 0.078 Mg/l ( approaches taste threshold)
Ethyl Acetate = 17 mg/l ( well under taste threshold )
Isoamyl Acetate = N/A ( well under taste threshold )
B. Wyeast 1272/ WLP051
Diacetyl = 62 Mg/l (approaches taste threshold)
Ethyl Acetate = 33 mg/l ( At taste threshold )
Isoamyl Acetate = 0.983 mg/l ( approaches taste threshold )
So this leads me to believe it is very close in profile to 1272/051. Denny this is all pure speculation with facts at hand. I would like to hear as asked above what differentiates the CL50/1450 from 1272?

1272 was what I used to develop the Rye IPA recipe. Then I ran across CL50 and found that it left a silky kind of mouthfeel that really complemented the beer, and decided I preferred it to 1272. I was into yeast culturing at the time, so I kept a slant going for several years. Our club pres. at the time was microbiologist who also really liked the yeast so he started culturing it, too. Brewtek went under and the yeast was sold to another company. I had been talking to Dave Logsdon of Wyeast about selling it. Once the other company went under and stopped selling it, Dave decided to release it. I gave him a culture from my yeast bank. I tried to get them to name it Noti Pub Ale since that’s a little town I live near. But they decided on the Denny’s afavorite name.

1272 was what I used to develop the Rye IPA recipe. Then I ran across CL50 and found that it left a silky kind of mouthfeel that really complemented the beer, and decided I preferred it to 1272. I was into yeast culturing at the time, so I kept a slant going for several years. Our club pres. at the time was microbiologist who also really liked the yeast so he started culturing it, too. Brewtek went under and the yeast was sold to another company. I had been talking to Dave Logsdon of Wyeast about selling it. Once the other company went under and stopped selling it, Dave decided to release it. I gave him a culture from my yeast bank. I tried to get them to name it Noti Pub Ale since that’s a little town I live near. But they decided on the Denny’s afavorite name.

Thanks for the info. guys.

Can someone explain the term, “silky” in more detail? I’m assuming it’s a mouthfeel description.

[quote=“Gopher Brewmeister”]Thanks for the info. guys.

Can someone explain the term, “silky” in more detail? I’m assuming it’s a mouthfeel description.[/quote]

Yeah, it’s mouthfeel. Smooth…I can’t think o any other way to wdescribe it.

I get that mouthfeel from the Waldo Lake Amber so I’m pretty sure I what you’re talking about. Thanks.

Silky is what it sounds like. Its like when the beer kinda slides around on your tongue and just sorta lingers there feeling all smooth and awesome and stuff. Like in an oatmeal stout or something.

Bump.

I’ve been looking for the answer to this question and just wanted to be able to find it later.

I love Denny’s favorite 50. The mouthfeel is what will jump out at you first. Silky is a great way to describe it.

Making an apricot blonde with Denny’s yeast this weekend.