Deer Camp Beer

Its deer season in Northern Michigan. Looking for suggestions for a brew for deer camp. Would be best for us if we can keg after 2 weeks. ( also note that it will only be consumed after dark and with the guns back in the safe) . We have made Honey Kolsch, Cream Ale , British Bitters(didnt like it) Czech Pilsner, Oberon clone, and Speckled Heiffer) to give an idea of where weve been. Thanks

I would suggest a barleywine for the warming effect, but it doesn’t sound like you have time for that. Maybe I’m influenced by the fact that I had a good one at a brew pub at lunch yesterday, but how about a porter? You could bring a bottle of something a bit stronger and drop a shot in to warm it up. Cold night, warm fire in front of you, warm fire in your belly - might even take the edge off of an unsuccessful hunt. Good luck either way.

Smoked porter?

Remember that it’s beer camp. After the hunt it’s card playing, shooting the bull and the like. Everyone has to get up early. It’s important that no " gas causing food or gas causing beer " be aloud in the camp. Been there, smelled that. I guess what i’m saying is avoid taco night if you can. A good beer to bring would be a low ABV, a kinder, gentler brew. Good luck with the hunt.

like I say with welding, “Strike an arc, let one bark.” I think the same is applied to any camp, “Crack a brew, let one through.” can we get some more beans, Mr. Tagert?

APA is always goes over the best with the group of guys in our camp. I always take other brews, but the APA keg is always the first to kick.

We have “pheasant camp” - our fall get together of guys next weekend and I am taking two 2.5 gallon kegs - an american amber ale and a British dark mild. The dark mild really came out nice and it is a relatively low alcohol beer (high 3 - low 4 percent) - basically, a light brown ale. It is pretty quick to brew and turn around as well. I brewed it using 1469 yeast and really like it.

I’d say you boys have had enough phew

northwoods brown ale

8.00 lb 2 row (3.0 SRM) Grain 81.2 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 15.2 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 2.5 %
0.10 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 1.0 %
2.00 oz Cluster [6.00%] (60 min) Hops 47.5 IBU
2.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 16.0 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) Yeast-Ale

Waldo Lake Amber, for sure!!

Ameriacn Amber Ale and Oatmeal Stout are the two other most requested at our camp.