Dedicated Equipmenmt for a Saison?

Hello Everyone,

I’m going to be brewing a Saison with Wyeast 3724 and am wondering: does this yeast require separate equipment to prevent future beers from being cross-contaminated? I didn’t think this was the case, but I’ve recently come across a couple of articles that have me thinking twice.

I have never seen anything to indicate this yeast could be a problem. Seems to be just another Belgian ale yeast. If it were a Lambic that would be different.

I’ve never heard of saison yeast screwing up people’s equipment. Not to say that it couldn’t happen, but… it doesn’t need to. Some people add Lacto or Brett to their saison, so then, yes, plastic and rubber components could potentially be affected. But just the saison yeast itself?? No. I think you’re safe. IMO.

I brew Saisons a couple of times per year and have never used separate equipment. I have even used ECY Saison Yeast, which I think is a blend of Saisons.

Thanks guys. The article I was reading alluded to using separate equipment, but was somewhat vague. I didn’t realize that some saisons were soured, so I’m guessing it was something along those lines – I’ll have to go back and re-read now.

I made a lager not too long ago that followed on the heels of a saison. I clean the beer tubing with a brief oxyclean soak, water rinse, and it’s good to go. IDK if I skipped the oxyclean and just rinsed, but when I served that lager, the first taste was faintly saison-ish - I love a saison, but NOT when expecting a lager. Problem was solved after I had some people over and ran a good amount of beer through. I’d never had any kind of noticeable holdover in flavor from a previous beer before - certainly an interesting exercise in taste and expectations. :shock: