Decoction or step

.062 actual predicted .058 a few pts but could be something else

2 Likes

.004ā€¦ not a big amountā€¦
Sneezles61

People say you get a few pts from decorations. In hindsight i probably might have dropped the 8oz caramunich

Really I felt the same way. Not much longer than a step mash. Except another kettle to clean. :unamused:

Ivye been thinking about this and might start doing some of my other recipe s with decoction mashimg just because why not. My English ales maybe. I was so focused on the decoction the other day i forgot to add the cacl to the mash. Should have eliminated the carmunich as well. Oh well

I wouldnā€™t be opposed to conducting another decoction. I donā€™t have any comparisons to say if it was worth it but it wasnā€™t that badā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ll say one thing is the decoction boil smelled fantastic

Iā€™ve only done a helles a few times but did a decoction every time because I liked how it turned out the first time. Iā€™ve considered doing it with my pils but have not yet.

@brew_cat I agree on the smell. It was fantastic!
@dannyboy58 I would give it a shot on a pils. I might start doing decoction on Oktoberfests, hefes, and other German style beers.

1 Like

When that was done, the malts were totally different than what we use now

Yeah well im definitely not using that profile. Iā€™ll do a single decoction to step up from 148 to about 158 and then maybe another at the end of the mash for a mash out. I donā€™t think the mashout is necessary but i do it anyway to heat the wort for a quicker boil. More about the melanodin than increased extraction which i donā€™t need to get

1 Like

Well the Baltic Porter i did a decoction on is almost fully carbonated and ive been pulling some small samples. Nice malty flavor. The last time i brewed it i followed the brewery posted recipe but this time i knocked back the ABV which may have an effect. Iā€™ll need to find a can. Its the Framinghammer by Jacks Abby

22 oz or the mighty 32? Old steel headā€¦ New Titanium? Goofing with youā€¦ No-one wants to use them any moreā€¦ too primitive I guessā€¦
Sneezles61

The original is 8% ABV Iā€™ll stick to the 16oz :joy:

1 Like

There is an interview on Experimental Brewing podcast with Jackā€™s Abbey just posted. Very interesting approach to lagers. Trying to produce IPA flavors using a lager base and yeast. And apparently doing it successfully.

They make great beer. They been doing the IPL for awhile fantastic if you get a chance

Framingham MA. The Framinghammer is what the people from town are called not the finger smashing hammer

2 Likes

My framing hammers have been long goneā€¦ Now I only have the mighty ā€œno swingā€ (Estwing) 16 ozā€¦ I use them mainly to scratch my backā€¦
Sneezles61

1 Like

Kegged the spelt Kuetbier the other day and started the tasting process. Did the double decoction when i brewed it. It tastes very wit beerish although i didnā€™t use a wit bier yeast. I used German ale yeast and fermented mid 60s. I like the flavor kind of sweet

3 Likes

Ok now after a busy spring im back brewing. Couple things i want to add to the thread. Im finishing up the cream ale keg. I actually disconnected it when i had people staying here. Im nursing it for myself. Chrystal clear and delicious. I had forgotten i decocted the mash. Today i did a dinkelwiezen. Double decoction with a protein rest. My process really didnā€™t add much time as i shaved water heating time doing the P-rest. Im a lazy brewer and have eliminated a lot of my original processes but mashing is what brewing is about and were we can really affect the outcome of our beer. All the beers ive made decocting the mash have been very very good. Have i done a side by side ? No. So maybe its in my head but so what. From now on Iā€™ll be decocting my mashes except for the IPAs which im making less of since they are so easy to get when im out anyway. Sometimes seems thatā€™s all thatā€™s out there

2 Likes