Dealing with PBSD

Just finished brewing this afternoon. It’s the first one I’ve done in a long time. Even with my determination to get back to brewing, work has still made it difficult to find the time. But, today was the day. NB Sweet Stout Extract with WY Neobritannia 1945.

So, while I’m not ready to dump it out, here I sit. I’m dealing with Post-Brewing Stress Disorder after a rushed day to make sure I got the brew done before I get ensnared with work shit again. :blah: )

Now, I’m thinking about how I didn’t add the hops at the right time. Don’t fear the foam, but goddam that was a lot of foam … did I put the right amount of Star San in? I came away with some sludge toasted to the bottom of my kettle … GAH! Did I ruin the sugars!!! DAMN IT! :shock: I knew I should have gone with a lower water pH … who brews with 9.4pH. Where’s the smiley for [banging head against wall]? My OG is 7 points higher and volume looks a little under … what did I do wrong? Stop it – it’s just beer. Gah.

How do you deal with your PBSD?

I don’t think I’ve ever had a case of PBSD as bads as yours sounds, but a couple of beers(8-10) and a good night sleep should take care of it. Nothing wrong with self medication if you make your on medication :cheers:

I think your over worrying. You still made wort that will become beer. You still added hops. Maybe it will be more or less bitter or more/less aroma… but still beer. You’re fine on the foam…
YOU MADE BEER. Relax.

I would worry.

I would quit.

Drink a few beers and relax. It’ll be fine. :cheers:

[quote=“Ready4Launch”]Just finished brewing this afternoon. It’s the first one I’ve done in a long time. Even with my determination to get back to brewing, work has still made it difficult to find the time. But, today was the day. NB Sweet Stout Extract with WY Neobritannia 1945.

So, while I’m not ready to dump it out, here I sit. I’m dealing with Post-Brewing Stress Disorder after a rushed day to make sure I got the brew done before I get ensnared with work #### again. :blah: )

Now, I’m thinking about how I didn’t add the hops at the right time. Don’t fear the foam, but goddam that was a lot of foam … did I put the right amount of Star San in? I came away with some sludge toasted to the bottom of my kettle … GAH! Did I ruin the sugars!!! DAMN IT! :shock: I knew I should have gone with a lower water pH … who brews with 9.4pH. Where’s the smiley for [banging head against wall]? My OG is 7 points higher and volume looks a little under … what did I do wrong? Stop it – it’s just beer. Gah.

How do you deal with your PBSD?[/quote]
Love the commentary. Definitely calls for a RDWHAHB- or two or 3… :cheers:

That made me worry for him being so worried. Take a trip to Denver and find some meds. :smiley:
Or in that case if your that close to the Pacific you may can just walk around the corner. :lol:

I’m good. I’m good. For now at least… :? Yeast is going nicely as of this morning. I’d like it to be nicer, but c’est la vie.

:cheers:

I think you’ve coined a new term for the urban dictionary…or acronym at least. Post Brewing Stress Disorder (PBSD). I like it, and will probably use it!

Our host could resurrect BTV, and make Public Service Announcements to increase awareness of PBSD.

“I dumped 5-gallons because I thought it was infected… Oh the waste!!”
There’s a cure for PBSD. – RDWAHAHB

Please. Help spread the word.

I think a healthy amount of brewing anxiety is ok and aids in maintaining a certain level of attention to detail. Yours, on the other hand, seems to be nearing pathologic. You might want to start drinking a little earlier in the brewing process. :smiley:

I try to plan a point in the brewing process to have a home brew, but so far I am always trying to keep my hair from catching on fire or putting it out to indulge that luxury. I am looking for ways to streamline and organize. Easier to say than do.
Three things come to mind. Print off and use a brew day planning sheet (one available at Brewers Friend) checklist. Prep and prepare ahead as much as possible and three … brew more often. Work (earning a living) gets in the way of living. If I am not a 100% head in the game on brew day, my chances of PBSD are near 100%. That said, we have to deal with the hand we have, Strive for perfection knowing it “ain’t gonna happen”. That’s when you RDWHAHB. :cheers:

I’m the opposite. Here a while back I unintentionally took a nap during the mash. I was thankful that it wasn’t the boil or I would have had a 1/2 gal really thick wort. I woke up thinking I needed more beer to stay awake. WOW! I just discovered why I fell asleep.

Difference between an Apprentice and Master? :slight_smile:

Like I said before, I believe your beer is ruined.