Dead Ringer starter

[quote=“Jeff4Amnesty”]If you have time to make a starter, do so with the 1056 and save the US 05 for you next batch. If not, then use the US 05 and plan on making a starter with the 1056 for your next batch. You gain nothing by using both in a single batch.

Is the Dead Ringer supposed to be a Rogue Dead Guy Ale clone? If so, I am curious as to why NB isn’t including Pacman yeast in the kit as it is readily available from Wyeast, No. 1764, as it is the yeast Rogue uses in all their beers. Not that the 1056/US05 would result in a bad beer, it’s just that the 1764 will get you closer to Dead Guy, if that is what you are shooting for.[/quote]

Thanks, I am probably going to use the 1056 with a starter. If for nothing else, I will learn how to make and use a starter. Also, I checked the yeast packet in the fridge and it does seem to be partially inflated already. I have read in the forums that it should be fine, but that a starter would almost be necessary now as the viability of the yeast probably isn’t 100%.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]Making a starter with dry yeast compromises yeast health and viability

http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.php

Thank you much, Brother! :cheers:

[quote=“Hoppman21”]Thanks. From everything I have read they seem pretty similar. I got 2 kits as a gift and the 1056 came with one of them and 05 with the other. Not sure which came with which, but I figured for my first batch I would use the 05 since I had no idea what a starter was! (The only time I’ve ever used a started was on the golf course!) I used the 05 for the American Wheat, so I have the 1056 in the fridge. I ordered the emergency kit from NB which has the 3 packs of 05, the caps and the muslin bags. I also ordered the 2ml starter kit. It will be my first starter so I’ll see how it comes out. I’ll let you know when I actually brew it.

+1 I use dry US 05 in every recipe that calls for 1056 to avoid the hassle of having to make a starter. As an added bonus it saves me a little money.[/quote][/quote]

Dead Ringer has been brewed. The brew session went as planned. I did get a few unexpected gifts from my father in law in the way of a 5 & 6 gal glass carboys floating thermometers, bungs, and a bunch of other great stuff. I utilized the 5 gal glass carboy to ferment this beer as I would love to see what it looks like during fermentation. That said…I made a 1000ml starter using a wyeast 1056 liquid yeast and aerated it and let it work itself for 15 hours before I pitched it. This beer has been in the fermenter for 4 whole days, today will be the 5th and I havent seen any sign of anything. I have read that you could have a slow fermentation that would start after 72 hours or so, but I am a little concerned that this is moving into day 5 and no action what so ever. I used a blowoff hose in anticipation of heated activity. In my previous post I mentioned that the pack was slightly inflated but that I kept it in the fridge so I thought it would be ok…not as fresh as when it came, but that it would still work.

Should I be concerned that I am moving into day 5 with no activity or let it go? I have a backup pack of dry 05 that I could rehydrate and use, but in everyones best opinions, when do you decide to pitch more? BTW, this is the Dead Ringer extract kit. Also, I did not take a gravity reading on this one as everything I read says that the extract kits usually hit the OG specified. Also, I did the boil with 4 gal of water and then topped off to 5 in the fermenter.

Sorry for the long winded post, but trying to get as much info out there as I can.

Thanks again for any help!

Matt

Just looked at the carboy with a flashlight and saw that all of the yeast has settled to the bottom. I have monitored this everyday since it was racked into ferm. will a gravity reading tell me anything? Should i shake the carboy to aerate more?
…Confused!

Update…I pitched a pack of 05 into the carboy and within a few hours I had fermentation. I’m a little aggravated that the 1056 was no good. I guess I can email wyeast to see if there is anything they can do for me.