Dead Ringer starter

All,

My next batch is going to be the Dead Ringer Ale and I was wondering if a yeast starter is absolutely necessary? I know the directions recommend making one, but can the wort be fermented with just using the smack pack that came with the kit?

Thanks,

Matt

[quote=“Hoppman21”]All,

My next batch is going to be the Dead Ringer Ale and I was wondering if a yeast starter is absolutely necessary? I know the directions recommend making one, but can the wort be fermented with just using the smack pack that came with the kit?

Thanks,

Matt[/quote]

If you are using the us 05 then no you do not need a starter…if you are using the 1056 then yes make a 2L starter

When making any beer over 1.040 and using liquid yeast I would suggest making a starter. It is especially important to make a starter if you ordered the yeast via mail and the temps are high. Not only will it provide more yeast to pitch, it gives them a head start on their party.

Thanks for the respone guys. I figured a starter was the way to go. Unfortunately I had to order the flask and the DME for the starter from NB so I will have to wait to brew :frowning: I do however have 2 cases of the American Wheat that I made so I have plenty to drink for now. Although I am itching to get brewing again!

What are your thoughts if I had a package of 05? Would that work on the Dead Ringer?

[quote=“Hoppman21”]Thanks for the respone guys. I figured a starter was the way to go. Unfortunately I had to order the flask and the DME for the starter from NB so I will have to wait to brew :frowning: I do however have 2 cases of the American Wheat that I made so I have plenty to drink for now. Although I am itching to get brewing again!

What are your thoughts if I had a package of 05? Would that work on the Dead Ringer?[/quote]

Anxious for the feedback on this question as well. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Hoppman21”]

What are your thoughts if I had a package of 05? Would that work on the Dead Ringer?[/quote]

I would think so as it is listed as the default yeast (dry) for the kit by the designer of the recipe (NM)

[quote=“Hoppman21”]Thanks for the respone guys. I figured a starter was the way to go. Unfortunately I had to order the flask and the DME for the starter from NB so I will have to wait to brew :frowning: I do however have 2 cases of the American Wheat that I made so I have plenty to drink for now. Although I am itching to get brewing again!

US 05 is pretty much dry 1056…yes it will work great

[quote=“Hoppman21”]All,

Thanks,

Matt[/quote]

I would make a 1.5L starter with 1 smack pack or package of dry yeast.

+1 I use dry US 05 in every recipe that calls for 1056 to avoid the hassle of having to make a starter. As an added bonus it saves me a little money.

+1 I use dry US 05 in every recipe that calls for 1056 to avoid the hassle of having to make a starter. As an added bonus it saves me a little money.[/quote]

That’s right i hear ya brother

US05 is a fine yeast for any time you want a nice clean basic ale yeast (ie pretty much any american style ale). When fermented on the cool side its not bad for mock lagers either. I use it a lot, and I ALWAYS use it in recipes that call for 1056.

[quote=“Chris-P”][quote=“Hoppman21”]All,

Thanks,

Matt[/quote]

I would make a 1.5L starter with 1 smack pack or package of dry yeast.[/quote]

Making a starter with dry yeast isn’t recommended. Most studies say it hurts the yeast more than helps.

Thanks. From everything I have read they seem pretty similar. I got 2 kits as a gift and the 1056 came with one of them and 05 with the other. Not sure which came with which, but I figured for my first batch I would use the 05 since I had no idea what a starter was! (The only time I’ve ever used a started was on the golf course!) I used the 05 for the American Wheat, so I have the 1056 in the fridge. I ordered the emergency kit from NB which has the 3 packs of 05, the caps and the muslin bags. I also ordered the 2ml starter kit. It will be my first starter so I’ll see how it comes out. I’ll let you know when I actually brew it.

+1 I use dry US 05 in every recipe that calls for 1056 to avoid the hassle of having to make a starter. As an added bonus it saves me a little money.[/quote]

Making a starter with dry yeast isn’t recommended. Most studies say it hurts the yeast more than helps.[/quote]

Elaborate, please Sir…Seems like it would give it a “leg up” on the work to be done ahead.
Not tryin’ to be difficult, just wanna’ learn! :cheers:

Making a starter with dry yeast compromises yeast health and viability

http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.php

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]Making a starter with dry yeast compromises yeast health and viability

http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.php

Learn something new every day.

Following this thread closely because my Dead Ringer should be here today. What I’m getting from this thread that a starter is or isn’t required but one packet of us-05 should be adequate. Which is unfortunate because I ordered the wyeast smack pack. Wondering if double pitching hydrated us-05 and the wyeast together would be a good idea?

Thanks,
UT

If you have time to make a starter, do so with the 1056 and save the US 05 for you next batch. If not, then use the US 05 and plan on making a starter with the 1056 for your next batch. You gain nothing by using both in a single batch.

Is the Dead Ringer supposed to be a Rogue Dead Guy Ale clone? If so, I am curious as to why NB isn’t including Pacman yeast in the kit as it is readily available from Wyeast, No. 1764, as it is the yeast Rogue uses in all their beers. Not that the 1056/US05 would result in a bad beer, it’s just that the 1764 will get you closer to Dead Guy, if that is what you are shooting for.

Never mind, got off my lazy ass and checked out the kits on our sponsor’s site and learned that Dead Ringer is an IPA. FWIW, I use 05 in my IPAs.

Never mind, got off my lazy ass and checked out the kits on our sponsor’s site and learned that Dead Ringer is an IPA. FWIW, I use 05 in my IPAs.[/quote]

FYI it is a Bell’s 2 hearted ale clone