Dead Ringer IPA all grain

Every couple uses I get the screwdriver out :grinning:

1 Like

I have a utility pump I use to pump my pool level down when needed. So my plan is to fill a big Rubbermaid container with ice and water and then recirculate that through the chiller.

And as I am thinkingā€¦since I just bought a 10.2 cu ft chest freezer to use as a fermentation chamberā€¦ A couple of days before brewing I will make a boatload of ice blocks to use for the chiller.

2 Likes

If you use those reusable containers that the lunchmeat comes in, they hold about a pound of water/ice.

Thatā€™s a great ideaā€¦my wife saves so much of that stuff it comes out of the cabinet in an avalanche ā€¦ I will put it to good use. Thanks for that !

I thought only my wife did that.

You can save gallon milk jugs fill with water and freeze then cut them apart when ready to use. Then toss the cut up jug in the recycle bin. Need to let them sit for a minute then use a carpenters knife.

Itā€™s surprising how fast the return water melts ice. I stick with the CF chiller but some years the ground temp gets high enough in mid-late summer it doesnā€™t do the trick. I put my IC in one of those storage bins with ice and pre-chill the tap water going to the CF.

1 Like

I just noticed something on the Beersmith ā€œbrewing stepsā€ for my dead ringer kitā€¦ it says "add water if necessary to bring to 5 gallons " I was a bit short going into the primary (maybe .25 gal or so), but my OG was right on target (1.060 verses the recipe target of 1.064). So I do not want to dilute the beer if not necessary. Its a little late to add water now as the fermenting is underway.
would you guys add water to get to the 5 gal ? I would think about it if my OG was too highā€¦ but its not.

Thanks

Tom

Iā€™d leave well enough aloneā€¦ Sneezles61

1 Like

I agree with @sneezles61 if you are happy with your OG I wouldnā€™t top up. Youā€™ll end up with an unintended session IPA.

Great, thanks. The last thing I want is a watered down brew. I think that is what I did with my currently drinking Irish red. Still ok, but not as tasty as it should be.