Dark beer bread

So what i have been doing instead of using my sourdough yeast is dumping the trub from the fermzilla into the collection jar then making my pre dough with it. Ive done 4 loaves with the IPA trub and came out nice. This batch will be from stout trub. I read a book on the history of bread and apparently on baking day the haufbru would head to the brewer and bring home a pot of krausen. Ive used krausen before but using the trub brings more aroma and flavor to the table. I was worried about the IPA trub making the bread bitter but that was mot the case

1 Like

Fascinating…
Trub from brew day, or kegging day?
Sneezles61

Actually i drop some trub out into the collection jar of the fermzilla while its still fermenting

1 Like

Is the stuff from the bottom of the kettle called trub as well? I thought it was the aftermath of fermentation. The stuff in the kettle has no yeast in it anyway

Here it is bubbling away

1 Like

I somewhat called it that… spent yeast… hops and such… Hot break or is it cold break? This does look good! I really like bread and see if I can put down my guitar long enough to help my wife make some!!
Sneezles61

Trub is both the hot/cold break as well as the aftermath of fermentation. I once tried to use beer yeast to make pretzels, but didn’t give it enough time to fully insure the sugars so they were really dense :joy:

Yes i do the overnight fermemt

I made bread from beer yeast and it turned out great. There was no taste difference that made it special just fun to reuse.

Surprised you say that. I find a definite difference than sourdough. In the aroma especially

And the color of this one from the stout trub

I was just comparing beer yeast to bakers yeast not beer yeast to fermenting bacteria

Well? How was it with a hunk of butter?
Sneezles61

Never use bakers yeast. I only eat fermented bread regular bread gives me issues

Delicious

1 Like

You gave me the idea. Im making pretzels today with the leftover ferment

2 Likes

Well you cannot blame the yeast since baker’s yeast is the same species of yeast your brew with. :grin: How do you feel about yogurt?

not sure about the yeast but the long fermentation process. not realy sure about the beer yeast but i nknow the sourdough yest is beneficial

1 Like

Just stumbled on this preferment bread video that’s pretty interesting. This isn’t a sour dough video though.

This is like a beer yeast starter and harvest. There’s a lot of good subcontent that relates to beer brewing packed in the seams.

2 Likes

Fascinating stuff!!
Sneezles61