Dangers of Blowovers

I have a beer that is blowing over right now, problem is that I’m not there to take care of it. It happened last night and still in that condition now, so is my batch of Chinook IPA ruined? I’ll be able to put the blow over tube in later today.

Chalk this one up to inexperience, much more room to learn and prevent errors in the future, that is for sure.

• Thank You All,

Matt

It would help my case if I labeled my problem by whats it’s named: Blowoff.

As long as things are exiting the fermenter nothing is entering. You’re good. Here’s a pic of one I had a number of years ago. Turned out to be a great beer. Cheers!!!

That is reassuring, thanks. I’ll just have to get someone to put that blowoff hose on there soon then.

You should also consider a larger fermenting vessel at some point. Then you’ll have far less worries about a future blowoff.

Meantime, I would agree with the others that your beer will very likely be just fine if the rest of your process was clean.

You should be fine. I will make a pitch for Fermcap to avoid messes in the future.

i agree with everyone that your beer will probably be fine but i have to say that some times excessive blow is caused by high fermentation temps. so i have to ask what is the temp of the beer?

I know I made a few mistakes with my first brew, reasons being: inexperience, not knowing what equipment to use, and an upcoming deadline not to mention all the beer I drank WHILE brewing. Haha, but the temp. is fine, certainly not in a warm environment, especially since I live in Michigan, well known for having 9 months of winter. Off to the store for a new 6 gal carboy, thanks for the assurance guys. Grew on, brewers.

• Cheers, Matt

There’s no promise that it won’t happen with a 6 gal carboy either just less likely and I still encourage you to get one. But, you might want to buy a hose to fit the mout of the carboy to be covered. When ever I use a carboy/bucket I use a blowoff tube just to make sure and cover my butt!

That is one reason, yes. Overfilling your fermenter is another. I frequently make messes since I have an extra 1/2 gallon and throw it in so I don’t have another fermenter with a little bit in it.

There’s no promise that it won’t happen with a 6 gal carboy either just less likely and I still encourage you to get one. But, you might want to buy a hose to fit the mout of the carboy to be covered. When ever I use a carboy/bucket I use a blowoff tube just to make sure and cover my butt![/quote]

I’m using a 6.5 gal carboy these days (replacing my 25 year old 7 gal one which I broke in a truly boneheaded manner). I’ve yet to experience a blowout…I’ll keep looking for another 7gal one, but so far the 6.5 gal is proving to be very well suited to the task. I’ve yet to experience a blowout using it.

Luckily, the 6.5’s appear to be fairly commonly available these days for $35 or less.