Daisy Cutter

Has anyone come up with a clone recipe for this pale ale? Had it for the first time yesterday and really enjoyed it. One of the better pale ales out there.

Link to the brewery?

I wish. Just a little frustrated that I paid 8 dollars for a can of it in Philly this weekend.(Restaurant) No luck finding it at any bottle shop or liquor store in this area.

It’s from Half Acre in Chicago. They’re still pretty small so I’m surprised you’re seeing any in Philly.

The recipes I’ve seen have been all over the place. The key for me would be reproducing the grassy aroma, and I’m not sure what hop combo will do that.

I wish. Just a little frustrated that I paid 8 dollars for a can of it in Philly this weekend.(Restaurant) No luck finding it at any bottle shop or liquor store in this area.[/quote]

I think they’re normally only available in the Chicago metro area.

ETA: To me, their signature is a clear citrus flavor. It seems to come through in all the brews, even the stuff their brewmaster says only uses, say, noble hops. So I’m guessing they get at least some of it out of the yeast.

It’s from Half Acre in Chicago. They’re still pretty small so I’m surprised you’re seeing any in Philly.

The recipes I’ve seen have been all over the place. The key for me would be reproducing the grassy aroma, and I’m not sure what hop combo will do that.[/quote]
I’ve gotten a fresh mowed lawn aroma when I used alot of Palisade hops.

Yeah, I’m really surprised you found it out that way. They are quite spread out here in Chicago and the burbs but I didn’t think it made it out of this area. I was at a local place about a month ago and I drank Daisy Cutter all night. Very nice beer, IMO. The site and beer description (which is pretty much NONE) is HERE
http://halfacrebeer.com/beer/daisy_cutter.html
. Good luck getting any info from the brewery but you never know. Cheers.

My father-in-law found this recipe for me online because he knows it is my FAVORITE beer on earth. I have not tried it so I do not know if it is even close. He basically just googled “daisy cutter clone” and this is what it spit out. It is from a website called hopeville.com

5lb 6oz Briess DME golden light
1lb 60L crystal malt (Steeped 30 minutes)

1/4oz Amarillo (60 minutes)
1/4oz Simcoe (60 minutes)
1/8oz Simcoe (60 minutes) (not sure why those two Simcoe are not combined?)
1/2oz Simcoe (15 minutes)
1/2oz Amarillo (10 minutes)
1oz Amarillo (1 minute)
1oz Sterling (1 minute)

1/2oz Ahtanum (dry hop, 7 days)
3/4oz Amarillo (dry hop, 7 days)
1/4oz Simcoe (dry hop, 7 days)
3/4oz Sterling (dry hop, 7 days)

American Ale Wyeast (#1056)

*all hops are pellet form

PLEASE let me know if anyone tries this and it turns out close!!!

Have you tried contacting the brewery? I took their tour back in August and they seemed pretty casual. You never know.

The other thing to look at is this
http://www.slashfood.com/2010/09/14/half-acre-daisy-cutter-pale-ale-beer-of-the-week/#ixzz1ylidCMDb

The meat of which is that there are 5 hops, Warrior, Columbus, Centennial, Simcoe and Amarillo and upwards of 60 IBU’s with a 5.2% ABV.

I’m skeptical of the recipe you posted, the OG is low and I really don’t think there is a pound of C60 for 5 gallons. There may be some crystal but I think the color is more likely from munich or vienna malt possibly in combination of using maris otter for a base malt.

[quote=“Belpaire”]
I’m skeptical of the recipe you posted, the OG is low and I really don’t think there is a pound of C60 for 5 gallons. There may be some crystal but I think the color is more likely from munich or vienna malt possibly in combination of using maris otter for a base malt.[/quote]

Like I said, I have no idea if it is close to Daisy Cutter. Just something that google threw out there. Also it is an extract recipe w/ steeped grains. I was under the impression that steeping munich, vienna & maris otter was pretty much worthless. I am new to brewing so it wouldn’t surprise me if I was wrong. Although the 60L does seem a little dark for that beer.

Definitely one of my favorite beers. Light, biscuity, yet super hoppy. Its the perfect beer to sip on outside of Wrigley. Anyway, I took a stab at attempting to find something similar to the grain bill and this should get you going (tweaks might have to be made for a clone):

87.3% 2-row
6.3% Victory
6.3% C-20

The beer i brewed ended up at 1.055 and i hopped it to 72 ibus using Nelson Sauvin - not intending it to be a Daisy Cutter clone. I love NS against the Victory malt.