Curt & Kathy's Blackberry Melomel Mead Kit

Hi all

I would like to know what size fermenter You would use for the secondary. With ading the frut. I wander if a 5 gallon fermenter is big enuf for the mead and frut. I am making the Curt & Kathy’s Blackberry Melomel Mead Kit
from NB.

Thanks Roger

I’m using a 6 for mine.

[quote=“K5MOW”]Hi all

I would like to know what size fermenter You would use for the secondary. With ading the frut. I wander if a 5 gallon fermenter is big enuf for the mead and frut. I am making the Curt & Kathy’s Blackberry Melomel Mead Kit
from NB.

Thanks Roger[/quote]

The fruit will cause more fermentation so you need to allow head space for that.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“K5MOW”]Hi all

from NB.

Thanks Roger[/quote]

The fruit will cause more fermentation so you need to allow head space for that.[/quote]

In my experience, the fermentation did restart (6 lb pureed blackberries), but I no krausen or anything happened, so no worries. Give it some headspace, but don’t worry about giving it too much.

• edit: Do make sure you account for the volume of fruit that you’re adding, though! :cheers: