Crushing grapes

Racked it yesterday… gravity .096… it’s very clear now… a wee bit dry, but may be due to being young too…. Give it some more time
Sneezles61

How did the one with the pellicle turn out?

It had a very strong flavor, more so because of the grapes… the land it grows on contributes too, I think…
You could drink a small glass and be OK… but much more than that at a time would be overwhelming… maybe was to acidic, growing on the south side of a huge red pine…?
Sneezles61

Could be a multitude of factors. Terroir is certainly one of them, along with environmental growing conditions. Likely what created the pellicle increased acidity. Grapes/grape juice is known to acidic which could contribute as well.

1 Like

I wonder soil soil treatment would change that… Well, at least the terroir piece…
Sneezles61

Read some stuff from “ncib(?) about soils and the affects on grapes…. Aeolian type soils (related to why the major music scale is named?) seemed to very good…
This kinda reading will go right up there with water chemistry… of dear…
Sneezles61

Just read a bit about this based on the info you provided. Oh dear is right. I’m sure you could treat soil to differ the results. I’ll let you figure that out! :joy:

1 Like

Our soil is sand and gravel…. So that’s a positive…… I don’t think I’ll get too carried away…. I hope……
Sneezles61

1 Like

My wine is finished… air locker has sat even for over a week…
Samples show improvement over last years… but it’s still too dry for my wife…. I just can’t seem to get her to understand that adding regular old grape juice will cause it to ferment again….
Perhaps I’ll sneak a couple bottles of wine from the pop shop… when she isn’t paying attention….
Sneezles61

Hit it with potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfite and add some frozen, concentrated grape juice that you find in the can at your grocer. It will sweeten it right up.

1 Like

I don’t know how you can drink wine so young. For example im drinking a black currant wine I started last April. I had the first couple bottles in July and sure it waa fine but the bottle im drinking now 7 months in has brought it to another level :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Just sampling?
Sneezles61

Sounds like he’s ‘sampling’ from a 750ml bottle! :wink:

I read that “having a cap of CO2” is a practice utilized by some wine making joints…. But no pressure….
So… use just enough gas to put some in a glass… but it best quite pushing wine out of the keg…. That should be extremely low… fun and games!!
Sneezles61

I think most use argon to push wine. This way it won’t become sparkling wine.

1 Like

I read they can use 3 different types of gas….
I put last years wine in a keg and that ended up sparkling…Which I thought was good…. But then my wife thought otherwise….
Sneezles61

1 Like

I just bottled a fruit wine i made using some blackberry preserves a friend of mine made. I put it in beer bottles with a Domino dot. I made it for people instead of hard seltzer. I thought about watering it down a bit but did this batch full strength. It can always be served with seltzer if to strong. I’ll try one this weekend and report back

2 Likes

No SG readings? I’ll bet it has some horse power!!
Yeah, waiting for your taste test!
Sneezles61

That’s a great idea. Even hitting it 50/50 with seltzer would get you in the 5%-6% ABV area based on most wines. And it would ‘dumb’ down some of the overwhelming flavors. A ‘wine spritzer’ if you will.

1 Like

A not so fond day remembered… in the youth… Mogan David wine and seltzer water… the next day was waisted time… them was called “spritzers”…
I will get some very light colored wine and do a bit of “mixing”… and still install that in a keg… minimal CO2…
Sneezles61