Crusher / Mill Recs

In the market for a grain mill. Any recommendations or buying tips?

I’m no expert, but I bought a cheap corona-like mill on Amazon. Which I will probably be able to make work. But it’s super dodgy. I’ll likely buy a purpose built grain mill very soon to replace it. So don’t go the cheap way.

I have a Barley Crusher, it’s a good mill. If it were to kick the bucket, for whatever reason, I’d upgrade to a Monster Mill 2 roller.

I own a two roller Monster Mill which I power with a gear motor. Love it.

Nice. The only reason I could see me having a piece of a equipment like that is if I did large batches. A drill along with the Barley Crusher is plenty for me. I used to hand crank for 5 gallon batches, I’d just mill the grains the night before to spread it out. But it’s nice to not have to do that anymore.

+2, nice motor. Where did you get it?

I am happy with my JSP MaltMill and a drill. They come in all different options.

I bought a Barley Crusher 7 years ago, it’s worked well for me but the knurling on the rollers is starting to wear causing it to slip occasionally. I may replace it next fall with a Monster mill with hardened rollers.

[quote=“Glug Master”]I bought a Barley Crusher 7 years ago, it’s worked well for me but the knurling on the rollers is starting to wear causing it to slip occasionally. I may replace it next fall with a Monster mill with hardened rollers.[/quote]You can mail it back to BC and they will re-knurl and ship back to you for free. If you haven’t already done so, you can flip the roller to bring “fresh” knurls into play, too.

Yep. Sometimes my grain bills are over 100#. It’s nice to be able to dump 25# in the hopper and go do something else.[quote=“TG”]+2, nice motor. Where did you get it?

I am happy with my JSP MaltMill and a drill. They come in all different options.[/quote]

I got the motor from Surplus Center.

Don’t know if they have any more in stock. It does the trick. and it didn’t cost much.

I’ve been using a MM2 with a low speed drill from Harbor Freight. My typical grain bill is 9-13 lbs. I couldn’t be happier. I’ve heard great things about the JSP Maltmill too. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

This piece of equipment should last a very long time, so it’s worth the investment in a good one.