Costco beer?

Picked up a New Belgium fall Folley pack and a Sam Adams winter pack for $23 a case. They stock one Omaha beer, Lucky Bucket lager. I had previously picked up a case of Boulevard Oktoberfest, again $23. What a deal.

How is the Kirkland beer? I wouldn’t object if it’s good or to get it if I have a lot of company coming over.

My wife picked me up a case of the Kirkland Ale variety pack. IMO, very good beer. The bottles state that the beer is brewed by Hoppen and Malz in San Jose, Calif.

The pale is not bad, the wit is just OK and didn’t care for the others.

Which is a code name for Gordon Biersch.

I’m not a fan of them under either name. AFAIAC, the garlic fries are the best thing to come out of Gordon Biersch.

PS, do you guys get the Anchor Christmas at your costco? This years isn’t bad, especially compared to the past couple years. 2006 was the best.

[quote=“ipa”]
PS, do you guys get the Anchor Christmas at your costco? This years isn’t bad, especially compared to the past couple years. 2006 was the best.[/quote]

I’ve only been a member since this summer. Don’t see it yet, but I’ll keep an eye out.

For $18-19 a case (just a few bucks more than Bud Light, etc), it’s a good deal. The APA and german lager were my favs but by no means the best I’ve had, just cheap, pretty decent beer. Plus I seem to remember the labels coming off pretty easy to reuse the bottles.

Aren’t they all twist off caps?

[quote=“s2y”]
Aren’t they all twist off caps?[/quote]

Haven’t bought a case in a few years but they were pry-off then.

[quote=“airlocksniffer”][quote=“s2y”]
Aren’t they all twist off caps?[/quote]

Haven’t bought a case in a few years but they were pry-off then.[/quote]

Gotcha. I think they may have switched to twist off. I’ll look closer next time. That would have been a pretty cheap source of beer and bottles.

Nonetheless, gotta love the price of their beers! I’m still lucky enough to find micros locally for $6.99 from time to time, $5.99 on some rare occasions.

I’m completely not impressed with Kirkland and I believe the ones that I had were twist off’s.

The ones I have in the beer fridge are pry off.

I can’t bring myself to drink their beer. In my mind I see a wholesaler’s beer as being worse than drinking BMC beers, atleast BMC beers started because they wanted to sell beer. The wholesaler’s are only adding it as a portfolio item. I’ll pass on the costco beer and buy a craft beer every time.

Midwestern store Hy-Vee has contracted a brewery to make beer for them. I haven’t tried it. It’s made by Steven’s Point brewery.

threads like this make me hate living in Maryland. Oh well, at least its not PA or CT.

IDK, in CT we have new england brewing that makes some of the best and most highly sought after beers on the east coast. What’s Maryland’s best brewery? Duclaw?

I’m gonna have to call a c’mon man! on that one, from Mass and I have not once ever heard anyone say they desperately needed a new england brewing beer. Now Heady Topper from VT, now that one i hear everyone talking about.

I’m gonna have to call a c’mon man! on that one, from Mass and I have not once ever heard anyone say they desperately needed a new england brewing beer. Now Heady Topper from VT, now that one i hear everyone talking about.[/quote]

yeah, I consider myself a bit of nerd on reading of beers I can’t get, and I’ve never heard of New England Brewing. But who knows, maybe its great. Have they won a lot of awards?

ANYWHO, I was speaking more to idiotic blue laws that restrict Connecticutians from buying beer any time besides 4-6am Monday-Wednesday and Pennsylvanians from buying more than a 6 pack of beer at anywhere but a state-run distributor, or in Maryland, where we have to go to liquor stores and not Costco where extremely cheap awesome beer is available.

As far as Maryland breweries: no, IMO Duclaw is one of the worst breweries in MD and has marketing more extreme than, and worse than Doritos. Heavy Seas, just south of Baltimore, has won several golds/silvers/bronzes at WBC and GABF over the years. The state’s newest brewery in Baltimore, Union, just won gold for their alt. Also, Stillwater (my favorite) is reknowned as one of the the best producers of saison in the US. I’m not the biggest fan of Flying Dog, but they make a few tasty beers, such as Underdog Atlantic Lager, Old Scratch Amber, and Wild Dog Farmhouse IPA. Evo Brewing also gets a lot of press for Lot 3 IPA, which is good, but I’m not much of an East Coast IPA guy.

I just picked up Chimay grand reserve 750ml for $10.

aww, mine charged $11

aww, mine charged $11[/quote]

Yup. $9.99 for the Chimay. $22.99 for a 3 pack of Duvels. With their cases of beer, almost cheaper than homebrewing.