Corriander

So I picked up some corriander the other day when I was putting together a Belgian Tripel recipe and decided not to add it. I’m now wondering what beer this would work in considering how strong the aroma is.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hefe’s, Wits and other wheats. It can be quite potent. If making a German style hefe or Belgian Wit I use up to maybe an oz or so. I made an American Wheat recently where I only used 1/2oz, but due to that beer being quite light and crisp even just the 1/2oz of coriander was a little overpowering for my tastes. So I’d say it depends on the beer style.

Coriander will add a nice citrus/spice flavor. I’d start with 1/2oz in some sort of wheat recipe and go from there. And I think you made the right call by NOT adding it to Tripel.

Excellent in a Saison. The Asian version (look like footballs) is superior to the American (seeds are round) in aroma and flavor.

The Hermann Holtrop Rochefort clone uses coriander.

It is very subtle in Rochefort, but it does add some complexity in the nose. A blond ale like La Chouffe is also tasty with some corriander. I love La Chouffe, but rarely buy it because of the green bottle. I used it in Saison when I first began brewing them years ago, but I don’t anymore. I think the yeast and hops I use give plenty of citrus character.

Traquair House ale is a Scottish ale that uses it. I don’t like it that much, but I think it is a fairly popular beer. La Fin Du Monde is a tripel that uses corriander, but sometimes I think it is a bit too much.

You could also use it in a rub for pork or beef. Goes great with beer. :cheers:

I believe the Jacobite uses it, but not the"normal" wee heavy.