Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Copper or Stainless Steel Wort Chiller

I am looking to purchase an wort chiller either copper or stainless steel. I have seen 25’ and 50’ chillers. Right now I have 5 gallon pot and at this point due to space, I probably won’t go larger, but hope to in the future. Any advice on which way to go?

Check this out (courtesy of Homebrew Finds!):

http://www.nybrewsupply.com/wort-chille ... -x-50.html

50’ Stainless IC 3/8" for 67$ +shipping. A nice deal any way you slice it. Get the bigger one, you will wish you had if you don’t. Homebrewing is worse than crack, and before you know it you’ll be doing bigger batches or going all grain.

Well, stainless steel always seems nicer but I know most people seem to use cooper for wort chillers. If you want to go bigger later I would definitely get the 50 footer. It sucks having to buy new stuff that you already own except in a bigger size.

All that said, I really like the plate chiller I use. I just use a gravity feed and think it’s great. Something to think about.

Go with copper. It has a lot better heat transfer abilities, plus you get the added benefit of the copper ions that get absorbed into the wort which is good for the yeast. I would also choose the 50’ chiller, cause it’ll work just as well for 5 or 10 gallon batches.

+1 to all this ^^^. Stainless looks nicer and with the price of copper skyrocketing, the price difference is minimal, but copper will cool your wort quicker. And after all that’s the whole point of a chiller, right?

Go plate chiller, I guarantee if you keep brewing you will end up upgrading. I have 2 50 foot ics a shirron and a therminator, all because I was too dumb to buy the therminator to begin with.

I would check out the 50’ copper chiller thats on the same site that pscdouglas posted its only a couple of dollars more then after using it for awhile I would buy a march pump and use that to make a Whirl pool chiller.

[quote=“GoldenChild”]I would check out the 50’ copper chiller thats on the same site that pscdouglas posted its only a couple of dollars more then after using it for awhile I would buy a march pump and use that to make a Whirl pool chiller.[/quote]+1 I bought the 50’ 1/2" IC from that site and use a March for a whirlpool and it makes chilling the wort easy and fast, even with 18 gallons in the kettle.

How much time are we talking about? Right now I am chilling about 2.5 gallons in 15 minutes in an ice bath. Is this too much time or about right for what I am doing?

If you’re only taking 15 minutes to get to pitching temp and don’t plan to go to bigger batches any time soon, there’s really no need to get an IC.

How quickly would an IC take to get 5 gallons down for example?

[quote=“ScubaBrew”]How quickly would an IC take to get 5 gallons down for example?[/quote]Depends on three things - the size (length and diameter) of the IC, the temperature of the chilling water, and whether or not you’re moving the wort (stirring or whirlpool for instance). So if you have a 50’ x 1/2" IC, using cold water (or better yet, pumping ice water through once you get the wort down to around 100F), and you’re stirring somehow, pitching temp in 15-20 minutes at most. When I do a 5-gal side batch, I just use ice water since I’m already set up for it with the bigger batch and stand there and swirl the IC around in the kettle and it takes maybe five minutes.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com