Coop brewery

Anyone know anything about starting a coop brewery. The question came up and I didn’t know the answer . Looking for enlightenment

I don’t really know. The only coop brewery I know of is Fair State here in Minnesota. It seems to be a bit friendlier than contract brewing, but sort of similar.

There’s one being set up near me. PM me, I can get you in touch with them.

I’m a member of http://www.flyingbike.coop/, not sure how to get one started though

The reason I ask is I’ve had friends buy me equipment or sacks of grain . When I said I can only brew 200 gallons/yr the coop question came up. Can you brew 200 gallons/member. How do clubs do it? That may be a better model.

You need to talk to a lawyer, not a bunch pf homebrewers.

Just starting a conversation to increase my knowledge not planning on starting a business. Why would I talk to an attorney. I’m sure some members are in clubs. By the way what does pf stand for?

Well, a co-op brewery is essentially a fully licensed commercial brewery. So the 200-gallon limit doesn’t apply.

As far as clubs go, I’m not sure I understand the question. It probably varies by state, but here the location where you pitch the yeast is what matters. So a club can get together and make their wort anywhere, it’s just a raw material at that point. When you bring the wort to the location you ferment it, that is where the 200-gallon limit applies. For my club, when we have a big brew day, we bring our wort home and pitch the yeast there. If you were to brew at a commercial brewery, you could pitch your yeast, ferment it there, and the brewery could put it on tap as one of their own beers as it was brewed/fermented under their license on their premises.

I’m just a homebrewer, though, so take this for what it’s worth (which isn’t much). :beer:

1 Like

pf is a typo

The law says 100 gal. per person for up to 2 people in a household. A coop is not a household. As mentioned you’re talking about a commercial brewery in the eyes ofthe law.

Then there’s the Brew On Premises model, which sounds like it’s own headache. Those are places where you show up, brew, pitch yeast, and leave it there until bottling day. As unlikely as I guess it would be to get caught breaking the 100 gallon/person limit, I still wouldn’t chance it. Any chance these guys buying you grain or equipment would be willing to help out and take a fermentor to their place?

I see. We don’t brew anywhere near the limit. A friend has an unused garage and we thought we could set up there and share the equipment but if we would have to bring the fermenters back and forth to our homes it doesn’t make sense.

Very often, laws are put in place as a tool in such case as they are needed. IT is HIGHLY unlikely that anyone is monitoring your brewing and making sure you are not going over 100 gallons per person. The law is there so that if you suddenly start making so much beer that a complaint is lodged against you by somebody who is being negatively impacted by your brewing, there is a law in place that will facilitate legal action against you.

2 Likes

If it’s attached to their residence then you would probably be fine, providing your state’s laws allow the transporting of homebrew. The 200 gallon limit would still apply… In fact, this is probably why the limit was put in place, to discourage people from doing this. If it’s not part of their residence, then it really wouldn’t be considered homebrewing and you would need an appropriate commercial license.

That’s good. Wouldn’t want Carrie Nation showing up with her axe

1 Like