Cooling equipment

Where do u live and what immersion chiller are you using?

I live in Rhode Island, and I use the silver serpent. I also do not have a kettle that has a spigot/spout, so that is my confusion. I do, however, own a bottling bucket with a spigot on the bottom.

Can a bottling bucket handle near boiling temp water? I don’t want to warp/melt the bucket, nor do I want any chemicals to melt off and make it into the beer. I know my options are limited, but I am not in the market for a $300-400 purchase right now, so a plate chiller + pump is probably out of the question. I could also transfer the hot wort back into my hot liquor tank, which should be able to handle liquid at this temperature. It has a spigot on the front as well, so that could work with gravity feeding.

I also currently have a large freezer that I may be able to modify to get the space required, but I would still need to get the wort into a bucket of some sorts, as I do not want my electric kettle to be placed into a freezer. I could use the immersion chiller to lower the temp a little, then transfer to the bucket, then either place (covered) in the freezer for a short while, or use the plate chiller with a gravity feed. Preferrably, I would just like to transfer to the bucket quicker if possible.

With five gallon batches, you shouldn’t need much more than an immersion chiller. Gently stir the wort with the chiller every few minutes, and that will cut back the cooling time.

You will need to punch a hole and install a spigot on your boil kettle for gravity feeding. I wouldn’t recommend trying to dump 5+ gallons of near boiling wort into another vessel.

I use a counterflow chiller for 10 gallon batches. For 5 gallons I mostly use a 50’ immersion chiller works fine. You could recirculate ice water or make a prechiller

1 Like

How can I circulate ice water? Wouldn’t that require a pump?

I also can’t submerge in an ice bath. Since it’s an electric kettle, I’m trying to not place the kettle into an ice bath. Though I would disconnect from power, still a bad practice to get electric equipment near water.

Like I said, I use an immersion chiller and it took me almost 60 minutes to drop to 68 degrees. As I said earlier, I could always use the chiller for 15 minutes or so, then transfer to a bucket once cooled down a little, then either use that bucket to gravity feed a plate chiller… or place that bucket into a freezer for some time. I use the fermenters favorite cooler for my hot liquor tank, so that should be better able to hold hot liquid. If I got it down to 170 or so (the temp of my hot liquor), then the cooler would work well, and it has a spigot for gravity feeding a plate chiller.

See this post for a recent discussion of a very fast chiller Jaded Hydra. I have no experience with it myself. Stirring the wort while chilling makes a big difference. If your cooling water running through the chiller is too warm, as it can be in summer, then you can use a 2nd wort chiller to cool it. Put the first chiller in a bucket full of ice water and the 2nd in the wort.

An example of a pre-chiller (google image search):

Another thing to do is to get the longest piece of copper flex tubing you want to afford, and bend your own immersion chiller. More copper tubing bent to contact more of the hot wort is going to significantly improve your chilling time. But yeah, those smaller stainless chillers are not very effective. Plus there are some benefits to having some copper in contact with the wort for yeast health.

We bought the Hydra and with our 55-ish groundwater it took 10 gallons to pitch in about 14 minutes. Very pleased with the step-change to our process.:grin:

1 Like

You could use something like a cheap pond pump from the home improvement store to recirculate iced water… it doesnt need to be as robust as a pump moving boiling wort.

1 Like

Yea I wish I had found that hydra cooler earlier, sounds pretty amazing. At this point, however, spending $160 for it wouldn’t fly either. If I had bought that instead of my original silver serpent, it woulda been much better. The original cooler cost me $75, add in whatever extra I will spend on the new solution, I woulda just been better buying the hydra originally.

I think I may buy a second immersion chiller and run it in an ice bucket as Steve and voltron said. I can find a cheap one for about 30 bucks plus about 20 worth of accessories and parts. I can stomach (i.e. my wife won’t yell) at $50. It may not work amazingly, definitely not as good as other options, but up until 2 brews ago I was using ice baths, so anything is better than that… and that was for at least 15 brews. I don’t need perfection, just don’t want to sit there for an hour, wasting time and water.

1 Like

With you on that!

I used to recirculate ice water using a drill pump cost about $6

Another simple thing is chill till you get cold break and pitch in the morning.

After it cools a bit transfer to a bucket or something and put that in an ice bath and continue using you IC.

I’m curious how handy are, or, willing to be? Some of the fun part of being a home brewer is modifying things to make do… Putting a hole in your kettle and a weld-less fitting … Even building your own chiller… Parallel counter flow chiller… That would be a great project, and will work good with gravity… Easy to clean… I’d like to think you can start simple… enjoy your home brew while looking at your equipment, measuring… figure out a stacked brew sculpture? Keep asking us! We all started quite simple too! Sneezles61

Your easiest method is to use a pre-chiller. FIRST, use your regular chiller to about 100° then use your prec-chiller to knock it down the rest of the way.

Your cheapest (likely) is to buy a cheap utility pump and recirculate ice water once you reach 100°. I bought one for about $40. This was the method I used prior to my glycol fermentation system. All you need is a bucket, ice, pump, and connections to your IC.

One thing about CFCs or plate chillers. Much more cleaning than simply spraying down an IC.

I like to think I’m fairly handy. I’m an electrical engineer, and I built the electric kettle and controller myself with a large pot, a few parts, and an electric hot water tank element. I plan to add a second control box to control the voltage and change the temperature in a more analog way.

That being said… there are many times and applications where I just don’t know where to begin. If I know how something works, what requirements and stipulations I must adhere to, I can usually figure out a way to build it. But here, I have no clue where to begin. I could easily do a second chiller placed in an ice bath, or a pump sitting in ice water, those are both good ideas that I wouldn’t have come up with on my own. I guess when it comes to home brewing equipment, I just don’t know where I should jump in.

For now, just ask the PC what you are wanting to do… You’ll get many ideas… Thats where the home brew comes in… As I looked to do what I’ve done, I went looking… so many things to find online… Be careful… do use some way to keep your thought to one step at a time… Sneezles61

1 Like

So what would everyone recommend? I would use the immersion chiller to knock it down, then I have 2 options:

1. A pre-chiller (25’ coil) in an ice bucket, inlet from the hose, outlet to the immersion chiller. Immersion chiller output to the sink drain

2. a pond pump, immersed in ice water. Outlet to the immersion chiller. Immersion chiller output back into the bucket to recirculation

Obviously option 2 saves more water, as it would eventually lead to a reusable amount of water. I think I may be able to swing either option for about the same price, and I have a big freezer to make a bunch of ice. Would option 1 work a lot better? If not, it sounds like option 2 would be better because I can reuse water. But if option 1 is a ton better, I would go that route. Thoughts?