Condition with cork top growler?

Hey,

I’ve done research and found that generally conditioning in growlers is not the way to go. It may be successful but more than likely (if a screw top) you’ll end up with an atomic bomb size mess. I’ve heard the swing tops are fine though I don’t have any of those right now. What I haven’t heard much on is cork top like this one here
http://www.kegworks.com/old-fashioned-stoneware-jug-beer-growler-64-oz-1459-p176149

I’m getting married in November and I’m looking to give out a growler of some awesome seasonal beer to my groomsmen. This growler really goes with our fall wedding theme and I just like it. Would something like this be fine to condition in? I was anticipating using fizzydrops and not the priming sugar route.

The plan you see is to never bottle again after the wedding haha. Hoping the father in law hooks me up with one of his kegs :cheers:

Any info would be great; thanks!!

I would have serious doubts about whether a cork manually inserted could retain CO2/fill the headspace/dissolve back into the beer.

I’m confused though: you say you don’t have any swing top growlers, but I would also imagine you don’t have any ceramic wine jugs like the ones in the link (?). If you’re going to buy something anyway, why not buy swing tops?

Alternatively, what about some 750ml bottles that you could spraypaint for the groomsmen? I did those with wax tops for my holiday ale that I gave to co-workers last year and they came out looking pretty sharp.

Also, FWIW, I would HIGHLY advise against carb drops and just calculate the sugar you need by weight, especially if you are filling a weird volume (like a wine jug, swing top growler, or 750). You can dial in your carb level exactly where you want with sugar and won’t leave your groomsmen thinking your beer is going to gush.

A growler is a growler. Growlers are meant to be filled with carbonated beer from a keg. Growlers are not designed/labeled to withstand the pressures of bottle carbonation. Even if one of them would withstand the pressure that cork is going to blow.
Purchase some bombers and make up labels for something unique.

Yeah if this was possible I’d buy either or. I had some swingtops bookmarked too.

[quote]A growler is a growler. Growlers are meant to be filled with carbonated beer from a keg. Growlers are not designed/labeled to withstand the pressures of bottle carbonation. Even if one of them would withstand the pressure that cork is going to blow.
Purchase some bombers and make up labels for something unique.[/quote]

Seems like a bummer and a possible market for bottlers. My logic for this project in particular is I wanted to give my groomsmen something substantial and presentable but a couple bombers is better than nothing at all right?

Thanks for the input guys.

:cheers:

A four pack of bombers would look good. Could be a couple of different brews.

If you wanted to give them something substantial I would go this route or the 4-pack route.

Get some 1.5L magnums. They exist, the most common being the Anchor Christmas magnums that show up cheap after the holidays :slight_smile: