Commerical keg

As in my last post, I am thinking about getting a little keg system. My only question right now is that do I have to use those Soda kegs, it looks like that is what everyone is using. I work part time at a distributor where I can get empty commercial kegs for 30$, a lot better than a used soda keg at 60$.

Use them. 30 bucks is a steal for commercial kegs. :cheers:

You wouldn’t be able to fill them or clean them.

That is why every one uses old soda kegs.

I’ve actually found some videos and topics on people being able to open them up and everything. I was hoping to find someone that actually uses them right now

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]You wouldn’t be able to fill them or clean them.

That is why every one uses old soda kegs.[/quote]
Not sure why you would think that. Its a simple retaining ring setup.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”][quote=“muddywater_grant”]You wouldn’t be able to fill them or clean them.

Not sure why you would think that. Its a simple retaining ring setup.[/quote]

I thought they were a closed system. The more you know.

I have a 1/6 barrel that I use in my system all the time and it works great.

I’ve seen how to remove the retaining ring and pull the spear. But how would you hook up CO2 to carbonate? Plus you have a large footprint with a half barrel keg compared to a corny. Corny kegs are hard to beat for ease of cleaning and general use. Even with a higher up front cost, I think they are preferable. Try your local soda distributor, theye might be selling cornies cheaper than $60.

On the other hand, I’d love to buy a few half barrel kegs for $30 apiece. Thats a really good deal.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”][quote=“Baratone Brewer”][quote=“muddywater_grant”]You wouldn’t be able to fill them or clean them.

Not sure why you would think that. Its a simple retaining ring setup.[/quote]

I thought they were a closed system. The more you know.[/quote]

I use a 1/4 bbl. and have two more waiting to be cleaned. After the initial cleaning, depending how long they’ve sat, they’re pretty easy to maintain.

Simply hook up the coupler, and turn on the gas.

That is correct, that is a steel (ing).

The distributor does not own the keg. The brewery does. And it cost more than $30 to replace them.

The distributor I work at does pay for them so I guess we do somewhat own them. AND we sell empty ones for 30 bucks

No need to remove the Sanke spear either.
Sanke taps have check valves for the gas and beer. Take them out of the coupler and you can fill or serve from either side.