Cold crashing a Heffe

Anyone do it ? Why or why not or just guessing

Seems counter intuitive… Cloudy IS a Heffe signature… Don’t forget to roll the keg before you pour a pint!! :joy:
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Next year, I may actually naturally carb my heffe keg, see if I like it better than forced with CO2 or not. I personally would not crash a heffe, like as @sneezles61 said, I typically wouldn’t expect clarity in a hefe. I’m actually semi-disappointed with how clear my last few have turned out! :joy: You’ve actually got me contemplating attempting a decoction next year, I’ve just been adding some melanoidin the past couple times I’ve made one.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Well i dont generally bother crash a wheat except a summer which i treat as a krystalweiz. But for that i use US-05. The heffenweizenen i brewed with weizen yeast. The Krutbier i brewed which was basically a weissbier was crashed and was cloudy. It should be bottle conditioned really. Kegging a heffe is not really traditional anyway. I guess I’ll bottle them

1 Like

I often do a soft crash with my Hefe to get some of the bigger yeast colonies to drop out. Couple days at 50°.

2 Likes

Me did keg my heffe and a other brewer while on island. Did give me hardtime about the fact. Heffe needs to be in a bottle.

I learned the traditional way. Was to open the bottle and pour 3/4 of the beer into an appropriate weizen glass. This part is clear then swirl the bottle and pour the slurry over the head and watch it drift down then enjoy. Kind of hard to do in a keg. The bottled beer will be clear so the idea that a wheat beer has to be cloudy or is supposed to be cloudy is not accurate.

2 Likes

Mit oder ohne hefe? It’s the only German I know other than bier.
I often naturally condition my hefes in the keg.

2 Likes

My last attempt was kegged and the yeast remained in suspension for most of the serving time(pictured). Down to the dregs now and it is pretty clear.
But I agree, serving from a bottle is nice. I did about 11 batches of hefe bottled.

2 Likes

I just brewed 10 gallons of hefeweisse. It’s only been in the keg 3½ weeks and it’s already pouring clear. My wife told me it has the appearance of a Bud Light but with better flavor. I’ll just call it a kristallweizen.

6 Likes

Ahhh Hefeweizen. The style you don’t want to clear but does. Pilsner… the style you want to clear but don’t…. :joy:

5 Likes

Protein rest and double decoction well over a month and still cloudy. Bubble gum aroma and flavor

5 Likes

Very nice looking glass of brew there!
Sneezles61