Cluster**** emergency! [solved]

So… I did an overnight mash and am now brewing my cream ale this morning… and I forgot to get my one ounce of Cluster hops! It’s a cluster… all right. No stores are going to be open by the time I need to add them!

I have Willamette on-hand. How badly would that be instead? The recipe calls for a 0.5oz addition at 45min and a 0.25oz addition at 15min. I’d have to up the amount to meet the AA%, but that’s doable. Would it be totally off?

Anyone have any thoughts or other creative solutions?

I also have citra, simcoe, centennial, cascade, amarillo, admiral, chinook, maybe 0.25oz of EKGs, and actually 0.25 oz of Cluster…

Just use the wilammette for both additions it will be fine. Up the amount of the 45 minute only to get the IBUs right. Then again I’m not a big cluster fan anyway. :slight_smile:

+1 on the Willamettes. Clusters are pretty gnarly :slight_smile:

Cascade would work also. But go with the Willamette. How’d the overnight mash go? Did you mash in the oven?

Yeah, that’s also part of the cluster… but nothing anyone can do anything about, now. It definitely wasn’t as good as it could have been. I appear to have lost too much heat, dropping more than 20 degrees over ~9 hours. Not sure what that will mean.

I used a bunch of blankets, but in retrospect, I totally should have used my fermwrap heater, too. I will be totally done with the brew day before 10am, which is going to be awesome—so I’ll definitely try an overnight mash again—but I need to figure out a better way to retain more heat.

I’ve heard of people wrapping the mashtun with an electric blanket, could be worth a shot.

Yeah, that’s also part of the cluster… but nothing anyone can do anything about, now. It definitely wasn’t as good as it could have been. I appear to have lost too much heat, dropping more than 20 degrees over ~9 hours. Not sure what that will mean.

I used a bunch of blankets, but in retrospect, I totally should have used my fermwrap heater, too. I will be totally done with the brew day before 10am, which is going to be awesome—so I’ll definitely try an overnight mash again—but I need to figure out a better way to retain more heat.[/quote]

I honestly really don’t think that will be a big deal. I think people make way too much of heat loss during mashing. The enzymes are active, you will have a fermentable wort. I’ve talked to lots of other experienced brewers that agree.

[quote=“Pietro”]The enzymes are active, you will have a fermentable wort. I’ve talked to lots of other experienced brewers that agree.[/quote]I use overnight mashes to make Belgian and high-gravity beers because the long, lower-temp mash produces a very fermentable wort.

[quote=“Pietro”]
I honestly really don’t think that will be a big deal. I think people make way too much of heat loss during mashing. The enzymes are active, you will have a fermentable wort. I’ve talked to lots of other experienced brewers that agree.[/quote]

In my googling, I’ve found suggestions that temperatures below 140F can/will promote bacterial souring of the mash…

[quote=“Silentknyght”][quote=“Pietro”]
I honestly really don’t think that will be a big deal. I think people make way too much of heat loss during mashing. The enzymes are active, you will have a fermentable wort. I’ve talked to lots of other experienced brewers that agree.[/quote]

In my googling, I’ve found suggestions that temperatures below 140F can/will promote bacterial souring of the mash…[/quote]

You’re probably right at that level of drop. However, if you are only talking about overnight, and you are pitching a decent slug of yeast into that, I have to believe that the yeast will crowd out any bacterial growth before they have a chance to take hold.

Then again, I may have absolutely no idea what I’m typing about :blah:

I don’t mash overnight, but I have mashed in the evening, left the cooled wort overnight in a fermenting bucket and brewed the following day. Seems to work well, I haven’t had any problems, and wouldn’t anticipate any, since I’m going to boil the wort anyway.

Maybe I’m in over my depth but a Kentucky common process involves souring the mash. Since you’re going to boil it anyway how much problem could be caused by a few little beasties?

9 lbs grain (8 two-row, 0.5 carpails, 0.25 flaked corn, 0.25 flaked barley). Mashed in a 2 qt/lb (plus some extra for heat adjustment). 7.0 gal into the boil kettle at 10.5% Brix (~1.042), 5.5 gal into the fermenter at 13.0% Brix (1.052)… For 90% efficiency?

:?:

That’s never happened before.

This is only if the temperature starts and stays that low. Once you’re over 150 that won’t be a problem as long as it is sealed up, even when the temp drops.

This is only if the temperature starts and stays that low. Once you’re over 150 that won’t be a problem as long as it is sealed up, even when the temp drops.[/quote]

That’s really good to hear. May I ask where you learned that or read that?

Ahh, damn. 18 hours later, no yeast activity from the pint of 1056 slurry I pitched (see

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=116617 ).

How much longer should I wait before infection becomes a concern?

You sure that slurry was viable? How old was it? You don’t have an infection, RDWHAHB.

I collected the slurry 7 days ago; sorry, forgot to mention that.

[quote=“Silentknyght”]Ahh, damn. 18 hours later, no yeast activity from the pint of 1056 slurry I pitched (see

How much longer should I wait before infection becomes a concern?[/quote]

I’d wait another 24 hours before I’d panic. What’s the wort temp?

[quote=“fightdman”][quote=“Silentknyght”]Ahh, damn. 18 hours later, no yeast activity from the pint of 1056 slurry I pitched (see

How much longer should I wait before infection becomes a concern?[/quote]

I’d wait another 24 hours before I’d panic. What’s the wort temp?[/quote]

It turned out fine. It started producing visible activity within 6 hours of the post. In the thread I linked, we went on to discuss whether yeast washing did any good. Jury’s still out, but it seems that the new evidence suggests it’s not worth while.