Clovier Belgian Yeast

Which are clovier belgian yeasts. 3522? WLP550?
I’ve used Belgian Abby II and one other. Would like to do a spicier clovey beer.

Definitely not 3522.

Ok I’ll strike that off the list. So…

Which strains do? Specific temperature?

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/belgianchart.pdf

Thanks I’ll open this pdf when I get back to a computer Monday. I know I’ve seen a chart a while back with different strains and the flavor profile at different temps. Anyone happen to know where that is?

Oh neato. Just opened this on my wife’s superior phone. That chart is just what I was looking for. So the wit 400 is the only one listed with clove? I was under the impression clove is a really common flavor in Belgians?

Not really, which is why your question kinda threw me. Hefeweizen, yes…Belgian styles, not so much.

Clove is just one of the ‘spicy phenolic flavors’ that belgian yeast produce.

Maybe I’m just looking for phenolic strains with subdued fruitiness and more spice.

I do really like clovey flavors. I was guessing 3522/wpl550 would get that because I know its described as phenolic, and clove is associated with phenols.

I think I’ll be brewing a lot of belgians now and learn as I go. Any suggestions for a yeast to start with.

From that description you might try

Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit.

You’ll have lots of fun trying all the Belgian Yeasts they have available now.

[quote=“fimbrew”]From that description you might try

Wyeast 3463 Forbidden Fruit.

You’ll have lots of fun trying all the Belgian Yeasts they have available now.[/quote]
I’ve used that a lot and not gotten spiciness. I haven’t tried it on the warmer end, though. I see Wyeast says it’s viable up to 76 so over 70 might get you where you want.

If you want the spicier flavors from the yeast, ferment them in the 60s. If you want fruitier, ferment cool during the lag phase, and then let the temp go into the 70s. This is from Brew Like a Monk. I like the fruitier character of Belgian beers so I usually ferment in the mid 60s for a couple of days and then let it go into the mid 70s for a week or two to finish.