Cloudy Irish red extract

I am curious about an extract batch I brewed the end of January. It was the Irish red extract kit, I used RO water, and hit the gravity targets, 1.044 OG and 1.009 fg . But the beer never really cleared like the others I have brewed ( same kit). I did fine it with a little gelatin. The only real difference was I used the Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast. Cold crashed as always. Tastes fine, just curious what may have caused the permanent clouds. I usually brew the all grains but did a quick extract to get more beer in the pipeline.

Thanks!

Are you talking about in the glass, chill haze? That can be caused by insufficient cold break. Nottingham is a high flocculator but yeast in suspension is also a possibility.

Yes in the glass. And it is cloudy enough you really cannot see much ( if anything) through the glass. I know I had a good boil going on my darkstar burner. Like I said, it tastes fine, I just figured this could be another opportunity to learn something. I tried this Nottingham yeast on a BIAB version of the Irish red a while back and could not seem to get it to finish ( after two packages I gave up at a fg of 1.020) . Tasted fine and I think it was pretty clear. In that case I may have screwed up the biab process as it was my first try.

My two misadventures have only one thing in common and that is the yeast used. But… I make plenty of mistakes so I am not ready to pass the blame on anything else. I will be curious enough now to brew another batch and use the Safale yeast as an experiment.

Perhaps, the Extract wasn’t at the right pH when it was made… And the yeast is another suspect too… Sneezles61

Did you cold-crash the beer after gelling?

As I understand it, cold-crashing seems to be the most important step in getting clear beer.

1 Like

Yes I cold crash all my beers , learned that from the guys here.

I’ll just have to drink it as is and chalk it up to the variables of brewing :slight_smile: .

1 Like

A ceramic mug works very well too! Sneezles61