Clear beer - how do you do it?

i’ve poured a total of 4 brews from my kegs and only 1 has been clear. I used whirfloc on each toward the end of the boil. I kinda thought beer would automatically clear in the keg, but it seems that it needs a little help. So, what’s your clear beer method?

assuming you are all grain, if your mash pH is right, and you get good hot and cold break, you should get crystal clear beer after a week or 2 in the keg.

if not, there’s always gelatin.

Lathering for a few weeks.

*lagering

1 Like

Do you rinse and repeat?

1 Like

Do you rinse and repeat?[/quote]

Nah, just once will do it. Assuming, of course, you turn your autocorrect off first… :mrgreen:

[quote=“blatz”]assuming you are all grain, if your mash pH is right, and you get good hot and cold break, you should get crystal clear beer after a week or 2 in the keg.

if not, there’s always gelatin.[/quote]

+1 on all of the above.
Patience is the best clarifying agent, though gelatin can indeed help it along.
But even if you speed the process up a bit with gelatin, it’s still best to let the stuff age (either cold or at cellar temperature) for at least a couple of weeks (I usually leave my beers alone for a minimum of six weeks, and usually longer).
Experimentation is in order to find the sweet spot for your own personal tastes.

[quote=“blatz”]assuming you are all grain, if your mash pH is right, and you get good hot and cold break, you should get crystal clear beer after a week or 2 in the keg.

Exactly right. It sometimes takes more than two weeks for my beer to get crystal clear, but if I get the other items above right, it always goes crystal clear.

[quote=“The Professor”][quote=“blatz”]assuming you are all grain, if your mash pH is right, and you get good hot and cold break, you should get crystal clear beer after a week or 2 in the keg.

+1 on all of the above.
Patience is the best clarifying agent, though gelatin can indeed help it along.
But even if you speed the process up a bit with gelatin, it’s still best to let the stuff age (either cold or at cellar temperature) for at least a couple of weeks (I usually leave my beers alone for a minimum of six weeks, and usually longer).
Experimentation is in order to find the sweet spot for your own personal tastes.[/quote]

Wow, patience indeed. Six weeks in primary fermenter or are you including 2 weeks in bottle conditioning, etc.??

Ok, now I saw the header for draft systems , so obviously you are talking about six weeks or more in the keg…got it.

I used to use gelatin to clear it quickly but now I just give it time. 2-3 weeks in the keg usually does the trick. I think the slow carbonation over that time (which is better IMHO than fast carbing at high pressures or shaking) and the time for the beer to mature is worth it.

my goal is to have 2 kegs in the kegerator and one on the ground (primed with sugar) for 2 -4 weeks. I assume it’ll still need the couple weeks at cold temps to clear. I absolutely do not mind drinking hazy beer but if I had my rathers, I’d rather serve clear.

As was said before, Whirlfloc for last 5 minutes of boil, good hot and cold break and a couple weeks in the keg. I also believe that the faster you can cool the wort from 212 to 60, the clearer it will be in the keg. That is why I go twin Chillzillas. 22 gallons in 6 minutes.

Brunwater to get the water right for good mash pH. G

ood hot break, fast cold break…did a couple slow chills recently so i’ll have a comparison.

I use a hop bag, irish moss or whirlfloc last 5 of the boil.

I pour from kettle to fermenter, no strainer.

After a week in the keg it’s starting to clear nicely. By 2 weeks my beers are crystal clear.

I usually bottle from a keg if I want bottles. Otherwise I’d cold crash before bottling.

[quote=“MullerBrau”]As was said before, Whirlfloc for last 5 minutes of boil, good hot and cold break and a couple weeks in the keg. I also believe that the faster you can cool the wort from 212 to 60, the clearer it will be in the keg. That is why I go twin Chillzillas. 22 gallons in 6 minutes.

[/quote]

holy crap…i get er done in about 15-20. that’s impressive

my blond only been in keg 8 days and it does seem to be getting clearer. my prediction - i’ll finally get a glass that’s clear then the keg will be empty.

[quote=“MullerBrau”]As was said before, Whirlfloc for last 5 minutes of boil, good hot and cold break and a couple weeks in the keg. I also believe that the faster you can cool the wort from 212 to 60, the clearer it will be in the keg. That is why I go twin Chillzillas. 22 gallons in 6 minutes.

[/quote]

wired, welded, pump-driven brewstand with twin chillzillas and you are still using the Brewers Best $5.99 mash paddle? :mrgreen:

I trusst that’s a relic from your days as an exxxxtract brewer…

to the OP, try some gelatin - buy the plain stuff, 1/4 packet in cool (50-60*) water for 20 minutes, microwave for one minute, swirl/mix, add to COLD beer in keg or fermenter, wait 2 days, read newspaper through full pint glass of your beer.

first few are always going to be hazy your sucking out the settlement…
Let it sit a while and any beer will clear

[quote=“Pietro”]wired, welded, pump-driven brewstand with twin chillzillas and you are still using the Brewers Best $5.99 mash paddle? :mrgreen:

I trusst that’s a relic from your days as an exxxxtract brewer…[/quote]It just hangs there. I made my own mash paddles which are HUGE in comparison.

[quote=“MullerBrau”][quote=“Pietro”]wired, welded, pump-driven brewstand with twin chillzillas and you are still using the Brewers Best $5.99 mash paddle? :mrgreen:

I trusst that’s a relic from your days as an exxxxtract brewer…[/quote]It just hangs there. I made my own mash paddles which are HUGE in comparison.[/quote]

Prove it!

Now you have to go take a picture, upload it, mess with tangled cords, etc…

Otherwise we’ll all know the truth about your tiny plastic mash paddle. :mrgreen: