cleaning question

I just recently transfered my first batch from my primary to the secondary and I have read not to use soap to clean out the bucket. I sanitized it but it still smells like the previous batch. Is this normal? Or do I need to really scrub it.

I almost only ferment in buckets. To clean mine i either just hose them out really well, then wipe down with a paper towel or if i’ve got some krausen stuck on the sides i will let it soak overnight with some oxyclean or just plain old dish soap, then rinse well the next day.

You don’t want to “scrub” with anything abrasive as it may scratch the plastic leaving places for bacteria to hide. I’ve never had a problem just rinsing them out as stated above, and have never had anything carry over to the next batch.

I, too, only ferment in buckets. As mentioned previously I hose out >90% of the stuff. The remaining ‘ring’ can be wiped off with a sponge. I have never really had the need to really scrub a bucket. I’ve never used soap either. Wouldn’t dream of it.

If it smells a little like the previous batch that’s OK. It’ll dissipate in a few days. As long as it is clean.

Thanks for the help. I used water and paper towels to knock the ring off than used sanitizer with paper towels to finish cleaning, so I should be ok.