Cleaning Keg Lines

I was reading your supposed to let it sit in the lines for 15 minutes contact time for a deep cleaning do you stop the recirculation?

I have seen both let it sit and keep it flowing advice. I don’t know which is right but I keep it flowing for about 15 minutes and it seems to work well. Flow rate is limited by the keg post connection so its not blasting through.

1 Like

Steve, could you let me know if this BLC cleaner is good for cleaning a jockey box?

Not Steve but I have a jockey box and would not hesitate to run BLC through it. They say it is a “Liquid cleaner for draft system lines, including tubing, faucets, and valves.” What kind of cold plate does yours have? Mine has stainless tubing in aluminum I think.

Me gonna try this. Awesome idea. As well me gonna replace the beer lines soon as well. Now that. I can do some small light things again with my left hand. Due to not brewing for a while. Got to do keg cleaning. As well. Got 8 empty kegs. Been drinking. But not brewing

Do you clean the kegs as soon as they empty? I leave mine with pressure and uncleaned until im ready to fill. Occasionally I’ll clean one and have it under pressure with some star san which makes it a bit more convenient.

Sorry Max, but I don’t have a jockey box so I don’t know.

It’s a great idea… @sneezles61 's idea…I haven’t gotten around to it because I lost track of a lot of garden stuff in our 2019 move. Couldn’t find the sprayer.

Most the time wait untill i got 4 empty kegs connect the power wash. Cleaner clean them out that way. Fill 2 kegs with keg cleaner. Let it soak. Than transfet liqued to other kegs. Might be overkill. On keg day. Clean with. Pdw and starsan.

You might wanna get one that hasn’t had some other chemicals through it…
Sneezles61

Now you have me thinking about converting a little electric power i have but never use into a keg washer. I’ll start another thread

:dizzy_face:

1 Like

This works perfect. Washes out all the gunk. Even do use it to clean the spear pipe. Made a sort of sakey keg adaptor. Old Coca-Cola bottle ataches to end of. Wash gun. Fits perfect over the sankey keg.

You are right .
I learned about Hudson sprayer from a friend who has a large CBD farm. It is built like a tank. I can honestly say that it is not like the blue ones that come out of china (alibaba) and are $200+. I bought this from a selling website and honestly, it is twice as powerful and much better construction. The tank is not too large that its hard to carry. The motor is double the power of most sprayers. That being said, it is overkill for indoor applications. If you are using for disinfecting or anything indoors, it just disperses too much liquid for indoor use. It sprays and will soak anything within 20 ft.

Was referring to a small hand held… pump up variety… the most I ever use is a quart… simple…
Sneezles61

Alrighty… Cleaning beer serving lines today. I talked to brewery in town… No BLC! Dang… I took everything from the keg hookup to the Perlick faucets off and totally took them apart. Very dirty… horrible!! At least I do have star-san.
The pin lock connectors looked alright, but still dis-assembled for a good soaking. The lines were the main discussing item. Mine are only 3’ long, 2 of them. A light flickered in my mind, how about a gun cleaning rod with a cotton .22 tip? Alot of hot water and gentle pushing the tip in, then go from the other end. I was careful and doubt I put any scarches into the beer lines. Now they looked like new! Into the solution to soak. I took the shanks out… the area where the faucet connects was terrible too… I could use my little finger tip to clean out the gunk… a bamboo skewer thru the hole/port where the brew is delivered through, now they are soaking… The faucets themselves weren’t too bad, still taken apart and cleaned, now soaking too.
Time to give them a good rinse and re-assemble…
When was the last time you did a thorough, intense cleaning?
I’ll keg Apple Joose in the next couple days…
Sneezles61

1 Like

I use forward sealing faucets and use a pump to recirculate through my lines. I take the faucet off about once a year and it never has any build up. So I’m pretty confident that my cleaning system is working well.

1 Like

My Perlicks are forward sealing as well. I have used BLC in the past, but this past summer I haven’t used my taps and, well, just plain old neglected them… The brewery used to be a great source for me, but they’ve changed… alot! Head brewer told me to just bring in my 1 gallon keg and they’ll put in what they use now…
Sneezles61

I wait until cleaning a keg and pressurize it and pump some cleaner into the lines and let it sit overnight then just blow CO2 through the next day. Wastes some gas but simple and only needs a few pounds pressure. Perlick faucets are nice since you can unscrew the end.

1 Like

I bought this “el cheapo” gizmo and it actually works fine. I don’t know how long it will last, but at that price it’s not a big deal.

1 Like