I used pre pasteurised juice no additives.
Everything fermented fine but it has now been 4 months (3 in secondary) and no sign of the juice clearing.
Any ideas why?
My main question is if the pectin is already fixed (by heat) can it drop out of solution naturally or using gelatin or will it stay regardless.
Pasteurization will not fix the pectin unless the temperature got over 175 degrees F or so. I always pasteurize around 165 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes. I never had a problem at that temperature. Gelatin will work well to clear the cider. Cold crashing will help too. Tincture of time almost always works too.
It is likely if you bought pre pasteurized juice then the pectin is set. Not a problem, just add some pectinase.
+1 to rebuilt’s comment. Alcohol reduces the effectiveness of pectinaise, so you might want to double the dosage. If it is a pectin haze, and it probably is if it’s still there after a few months, then it will not settle on its own.
Should pectinase be added in secondary and then wait until it’s all settled before bottling?
Or do I have to re-rack to a tertiary to get the pectinase mixed in properly?
Any benefit of using pectinase over say gelatin?
Gelatin won’t touch pectin haze. Pectinaise will break down the pectin and allow it to settle to the bottom of the carboy. Gelatin is great for particulates and yeast, but it unfortunately won’t do anything for you if it is pectin haze.
I would dissolve the pectinaise in some distilled water or a little cider (if you have a wine thief), and then carefully add it back to the main volume. No need to rack it. If you’re concerned about oxidation, you can dissolve it in club soda. Hopefully you won’t get a volcano, but there should be enough residual CO2 coming out of the club soda after it’s dissolved to purge whatever oxygen may have entered the headspace.
I have a tablet of sulphites in each gallon in there so maybe ok anyway?
Should be… you kind of need to work at it to really get oxidation in there. I’ve done much worse than pulling out a sample with a thief without noticing any oxidation. Good luck!
How long do you have to wait after adding pectinase and before bottling?
How long do you normally leave in secondary for? 2 months?
TBH, I’ve never added it after fermentation. But before, there’s been a noticeable different overnight. It makes some phenomenal pectin globs added before fermentation. I’d expect to see something within a few days, though. The pectin tends to clump together and sink.
I always set my pectin, yet I never use pectinase, never have, don’t even own any. I heat pasteurize before fermentation. At end of fermentation, my ciders are almost always hazy. Add gelatin. Wait 24 hours. Clear as a bell.
I’ll typically add pectinase before fermentation as well, but have added it after a couple times (didn’t have any on hand before). It works fast in either situation, though I’ll give it at least a few days to let the resultant “sediment” fall out.
Time needed in secondary? Not really sure. At least a month, not more than two. Some on the board say six months to a year, but I tried a very long secondary once and didn’t see any value in it. YMMV.
Gelatin taking away some of the tannins or not too much?
Good question. There probably is some tannin reduction, though I guess I’m not certain.
Added 1 teaspoon of pectinase dissolved in a little juice from the wine thief.
Been 40 hours and still not clearing.
Has anyone mentioned cold crashing. I’ve only made three ciders and they all came out crystal clear by cold crashing.
Just going to have to bottle it cloudy I think
Nothing after 7 days.
The ones with pectic enzyme are still cloudy, in fact it even looked like they started fermenting again? air locks have liquid all on one side.
The one with sparkalloid just has all the sparkalloid sediment at the bottom and still cloudy.
Tried cold crashing also but outside in freezing temperatures for a few hours.
Cold crash for longer than that. A minimum of 24 hrs, 48 would be better. It won’t freeze outside don’t do it with glass though
they are in glass secondaries though, the water in air locks immediately froze, it’s around 0-5 F outside so suspect it would freeze after just a few hours?