Chocolate Toffee and almond please

I am beginning to wonder if what I am looking for hasn’t been tried very much. I was able to find one site online that specifically discussed and rated someone’s beer with the same flavors as I would like. BTW, it was rated really low.

So, does anyone know an extract (preferred) with the following:

1. chocolate
  2. toffee
  3. almond

I appreciate any assistance I can get.

Thanks.

After doing quite a bit of searching I found a recipe that has caramel, toffee, and almonds. To me, the recipe is somewhat confusing. I have only done extract type of kits. I’ll post the recipe below and maybe someone can tell me how to remove the caramel and add the chocolate and possibly put everything in a simple noob-brewer type of a format.

EuFoira - DuClaw Brewing Company:

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines

10-B Brown Ale, Northern Brown

Min OG: 1.040 Max OG: 1.050
Min IBU: 15 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 12 Max Clr: 30 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics

Batch Size (GAL): 5.00 Wort Size (GAL): 5.00
Total Grain (LBS): 8.38
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.2
Anticipated SRM: 14.0
Anticipated IBU: 16.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM

89.6 7.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
3.0 0.25 lbs. Crystal 150L Great Britain 1.033 150
3.0 0.25 lbs. CaraWheat France 1.035 40
3.0 0.25 lbs. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
1.5 0.13 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time

0.90 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.50 16.4 First WH

Yeast

WLP001 - American Ale

Thanks.

Are you looking to make a beer using standard grains, etc. that provides hints of these flavors, or are you looking to actually make a beer using these ingredients (or extracts of those ingredients)? As a homebrewer, you can do either.

If you want to make a brown ale base beer, you could start with the recipe you have. Just replace the pale malt with ~6 pounds of extract. You’ll have to drop the rye malt because it needs to be mashed, but the other ingredients can be steeped as usual. Looking at the recipe, I’m not sure how “brown” it will be … seems a little light to me. If you wanted it “browner”, you could increase the steeping malts a little bit to darken the color.

If you want to add chocolate flavors, I’d suggest using cocoa nibs or Watkins chocolate extract. Cocoa powder is also an option but I haven’t liked the results. If you want to add almonds, you could try crushing some, soaking them in vodka for a couple weeks, then add the vodka to the carboy. Not sure how you’d get toffee into a beer, but maybe there is an extract that you can add to the carboy or to taste in the glass. If you really wanted to add straight toffee to the recipe, I say go for it. I’ve certainly done crazier things. Otherwise, the dark crystal you have in your recipe sorta has a toffee flavor, so maybe just adding or increasing it will be enough.

Good luck.

Okay, I was intrigued enough at this idea that I came up with a recipe of my own. Why don’t you give this a shot. I have never tasted CaraStan malt but from what I hear it is supposed to taste very toffee-like. The chocolate is best added to the boil as cocoa powder. I have had good success boiling it for 5 minutes, although it will form a small sediment in the bottles, which is not a real big deal. The almond is best added after fermentation in pure extract form. I am not exactly sure how much to add but I think 2 teaspoons seems about right. Maybe add one teaspoon, stir it in, see how it tastes, then add another teaspoon, etc. until it gets to be the right amount. If you try this recipe, please do let me know how well it turns out. Here goes:

Chocolate Covered Almond Toffee Nut Brown
5 gallons

OG=1.051
ABV=4.8%
IBU=22
SRM=22

1 lb British CaraStan malt (crushed)
10 oz British Chocolate malt (crushed)
3.75 lb Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb Cane Sugar
1.125 oz East Kent Goldings hops (60 minutes)
6 oz cocoa powder (5 minutes)
WLP013 London Ale yeast
2 tsp almond extract (secondary or bottling time)

While heating the brewing water, steep crushed grains in a bag until it hits 170 F then remove grains. Add DME and cane sugar and bring to a boil. Add bittering hops and boil for an hour. Five minutes before end of boil, add cocoa powder. Chill, top up to 5 gallons if necessary, pitch yeast, and aerate well. Ferment at 66 F for 10 days. Rack, add almond extract, prime with a heaping 1/2 cup corn sugar or 1/2 cup cane sugar, and bottle. Condition 2 to 3 weeks at 66-70 F prior to drinking.

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]Okay, I was intrigued enough at this idea that I came up with a recipe of my own. Why don’t you give this a shot. I have never tasted CaraStan malt but from what I hear it is supposed to taste very toffee-like. The chocolate is best added to the boil as cocoa powder. I have had good success boiling it for 5 minutes, although it will form a small sediment in the bottles, which is not a real big deal. The almond is best added after fermentation in pure extract form. I am not exactly sure how much to add but I think 2 teaspoons seems about right. Maybe add one teaspoon, stir it in, see how it tastes, then add another teaspoon, etc. until it gets to be the right amount. If you try this recipe, please do let me know how well it turns out. Here goes:

Chocolate Covered Almond Toffee Nut Brown
5 gallons

OG=1.051
ABV=4.8%
IBU=22
SRM=22

1 lb British CaraStan malt (crushed)
10 oz British Chocolate malt (crushed)
3.75 lb Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lb Cane Sugar
1.125 oz East Kent Goldings hops (60 minutes)
6 oz cocoa powder (5 minutes)
WLP013 London Ale yeast
2 tsp almond extract (secondary or bottling time)

While heating the brewing water, steep crushed grains in a bag until it hits 170 F then remove grains. Add DME and cane sugar and bring to a boil. Add bittering hops and boil for an hour. Five minutes before end of boil, add cocoa powder. Chill, top up to 5 gallons if necessary, pitch yeast, and aerate well. Ferment at 66 F for 10 days. Rack, add almond extract, prime with a heaping 1/2 cup corn sugar or 1/2 cup cane sugar, and bottle. Condition 2 to 3 weeks at 66-70 F prior to drinking.[/quote]

I have two batches to make prior to doing this one. I will take your advice above, if only because I understand your recipe (vs. the one I posted). I appreciate the time and will post the results.

If anyone wonders how this came up, I had a piece of Hersheys candy that was creamy milk chocolate, toffee, and almond. It was very good, but I instantly was wondering “hmmm, where’s the hops?”.

2 lb rye malt
1 lb flaked rye
2 lb oat malt
1 lb flaked oats
2 lb pale wheat malt
2 lb Rahr 6-row
1/2 lb CaraPils
1/2 lb Honey malt
1/4 lb Carafa I dehusked
1 lb rice hulls

I will not bother using any clarifiers. I plan to leave it muddy. It should be brown and almost opaque.

[quote=“quantumbeer”]2 lb rye malt
1 lb flaked rye
2 lb oat malt
1 lb flaked oats
2 lb pale wheat malt
2 lb Rahr 6-row
1/2 lb CaraPils
1/2 lb Honey malt
1/4 lb Carafa I dehusked
1 lb rice hulls

I will not bother using any clarifiers. I plan to leave it muddy. It should be brown and almost opaque.[/quote]

I hope that’s not an idea for a grain bill

[quote=“beerme11”][quote=“quantumbeer”]2 lb rye malt
1 lb flaked rye
2 lb oat malt
1 lb flaked oats
2 lb pale wheat malt
2 lb Rahr 6-row
1/2 lb CaraPils
1/2 lb Honey malt
1/4 lb Carafa I dehusked
1 lb rice hulls

I will not bother using any clarifiers. I plan to leave it muddy. It should be brown and almost opaque.[/quote]

I hope that’s not an idea for a grain bill[/quote]

Yeah. I’m not sure where he was going with that. I like how dmtaylo2 replied and provided the info. I can’t wait to make it. This batch is the next one up on my list. So in a few weeks I should be able to make it. I’ll let him and everyone know how well it came out.

I wonder if anyone brewed this – how did it turn out??