Chipotle Blond

I’m thinking of brewing a Chipotle Blond Ale. When would you suggest I add the peppers?

Thanks

In the keg would be most appropriate.

I don’t keg. Not yet, anyway. Something I want to start this year, though. I wonder what it would be like if I put one in each bottle…

I just made a jalepeno pale. I added the penos to secondary last weekend and will leave them there for another week. then bottle.

:cheers:

That sounds like a plan. Sounds good to me.

[quote=“StormyBrew”]I just made a jalepeno pale. I added the penos to secondary last weekend and will leave them there for another week. then bottle.

:cheers: [/quote]

1 week; ie… one size does not fit all.

I have been making a Chipotle Amber for a couple of years and highly recommend adding them to the fermentor towards the end of activity. You should taste it each day; because of the difference in heat depending on type and freshness.

For me, 1 ounce for two to three days is the sweet spot when using Smoked dried Chipotle peppers. The beers is balanced with nice heat on the back end.

This definitely sounds interesting.
I’m a spice junkie, and was eager to try a Chipotle Porter at a brewhouse near me a while back.

Sadly, I didn’t care for it too much - as I think it had WAY too much of that vinegar-ey smokey taste.
You’ll have to let me know how this one comes out, as I would love to try and make a very small batch as a base to use in a BBQ Sauce or a marinade.

I wonder about the lighter blond beer and how powerful that flavor would be.

Hope it turns out!!

Cheers!

Well, I have searched all the markets here in Cheyenne for Chipotle peppers, and the only thing I can find are canned peppers. They have vinegar, salt, and all the crap we don’t want in our beer. I was wondering, how would it be if I rinsed all that stuff off? Is there any such thing as dried chipotles? I’d be willing to order online if I had to.

Chipotles are smoked jalapeños, so they’re only available dried. Do you have a Mexican or gourmet grocery store nearby? Even the Wal-Marts around here sell chipotles in bulk.

I rehydrate 1.5 oz of peppers in just enough vodka to cover them, then coarsely chop them and add to the fermenter when fermentation is winding down. Treat it like a dry hop, essentially.

The chipotles are re-hydrating in a small pickle jar of vodka, and I’m a little concerned how dark they’ve made it. I was going to pull the peppers out, cut them up, add them back to the vodka, and pour the whole thing in. Since this is a blond ale, it looks like it might make it darker than I want.
Any suggestions? Thanks
Paul

Anyone???

compute the proportions of vodka-peppers to whole batch, scale it down to a few ounces (say 3-4), then add that portion of vodka-peppers to the 3-4 ounces of blonde. the color change should be nearly identical to what you’d expect for the entire batch…plus the flavor will closely approximate the whole batch flavor…assuming you taste it of course. :wink:

:cheers:

[quote=“StormyBrew”]compute the proportions of vodka-peppers to whole batch, scale it down to a few ounces (say 3-4), then add that portion of vodka-peppers to the 3-4 ounces of blonde. the color change should be nearly identical to what you’d expect for the entire batch…plus the flavor will closely approximate the whole batch flavor…assuming you taste it of course. :wink:

:cheers: [/quote]

That is exactly what I did. I got home from work this morning, chopped up the peppers into large pieces, and put them in the secondary fermenter, along with a few ounces of the vodka mixture. They’ll be there for 5 days until I bottle.

On a side note, The vodka mixture tastes awesome! I labeled the jar “chipotle vodka” and will enjoy a sip here and there until it’s gone. As the wife sadly shakes her head…

Thanks, Stormy!

OK, so I’ve drunk pretty much most of the chipotle vodka… I’m working tonight, so I…must…go…to…bed…zzzzzzzzzzz

Paul,

I’m curious cause I’m getting ready to make a batch of chipotle blonde - how big of a batch did you do? I’m going to do 3 gals just in case I don’t care for it.

Thanks