Chinook IPA Priming

What’s up guys! I’m about to bottle a batch of Chinook IPA my question is…What is a safe oz amount of corn sugar should I use? Reason being is that my first batch of Caribou was way over primed, I had two bottle explosions on 5 oz of Sugar, the beer tastes fine I just had to vent every bottle. I know now to use the priming calculator after the fact but I’m still paranoid…I was planing to use 3 oz. Any thought’s

Thanks Guys!
:cheers:

I made the chinook! Tasted amazing, still have a few bottles left that I’m saving. I just used the calculator and it worked out fine, can’t remember the exact amount, but it was around 3 I believe. You should be fine, 5 was way too much though.

• Jeff

[quote=“jeffsmietana”]I made the chinook! Tasted amazing, still have a few bottles left that I’m saving. I just used the calculator and it worked out fine, can’t remember the exact amount, but it was around 3 I believe. You should be fine, 5 was way too much though.

• Jeff[/quote]

Thanks Jeff! Yeah rookie mistake on my first batch of Caribou :smiley:

I bottled 47-12 oz. bottles and 1-22 oz. bottle. Which is about 586 ounces. About 4.58 gallons. I used about 4 oz of priming sugar. I was shooting for 2.4 volumes but it looks like I will actually get about 2.6 volumes. My beer was at 60 degrees. I put in the wrong amount for volume of beer which is easier to calculate after bottling. I need a better scale for measuring priming sugar anyways. I think either way I’d rather have over carbonated beer as long as I didn’t have any bottle bombs than beer that is flat. If I had to I would just let it sit longer before I drank it.

What size batch at you bottling? Last batch I bottled 5 gal .011 FG with 5oz and had good results. Yesterday I bottled 4gal .012 with 4oz. I also hate undercarbed beers . I go a little more than the calculator no probs. check your caps

I’m a complete noob… I thought that it went by dry measure and not scaled measurement, now I have a small digital scale.

It’s a 5 gallon batch with 1.09 FG reading it will be priming at about 72 degrees for a couple of weeks, after the two bottle bomb fiasco I’m kinda paranoid.

Put your bottles in large garbage bag for peace of mind. Just be carefull when you cap, a little over carb shouldn’t make bottle bombs.

This is probably a dumb question but when you say when I cap what should I look out for? I thought I just had to make sure that they are sanitized.

Thanks for the tips!

Make sure they are on tight. Give them a little twist. Don’t press down so much as you press in on the handles. I feel if you see a mark on top of the caps you are pushing down to hard. My wife likes to cap and I think she has a lighter touch. I’m not saying im an expert on capping, my wife might be, but no bombs yet. I probably jinxed myself now though.

Your right I was pressing the hell out them since it was my first time I just wanted to make sure they weren’t going to be loose, this next time I will use a lighter hand…thanks so much for all the tips!