Chinook Deluxe Kit Help Needed

I’m from the uk and I’ve loved the process of brewing your beer so far. However I need some help.

I’ve followed the instructions that came with the kit. I have let the beer ferment for two weeks, having added the extra hops after one week

No mention of secondary fermentation is mentioned, however I did this and filled the second carboy with the beer - minus the dregs. As per the video.

How long do I need to keep this for before bottling please? It has had two weeks now to ferment before being transferred.

Thanks

Rob Reich-Storer

One of the old approaches was 1-2-3. One week primary, two weeks secondary, and then 3 weeks bottle conditioning. That said this process varies a lot from brewer to brewer. And IPAs likely are sped up a bit to keep the hoppy goodness from diminishing .

Since you have it in secondary I think two weeks would be fine.
Do you have a hydrometer yet? If not google that process. This takes the guesswork out of determining when a beer is done and ready to package.

Also…you will find that employing a secondary is likely not necessary, and I don’t secondary beers per se, but now keg and use that as a de facto secondary vessel and for dry hopping also.

Welcome to the forums Rob! We are always happy to help out new brewers with any and all questions. As @voodoo_donut mentioned, I too would think you should be fine with another two weeks, maybe less depending. A hydrometer is very helpful in determining when to bottle. Take a reading 2 days apart and if the numbers don’t change, it’s done. When you are ready to bottle, take a look at this Priming Sugar Calculator from our hosts to help determine how much sugar to use. Also, I’d recommend a gentle swirl every 4 bottles or so to keep the sugar in suspension evenly. Feel free to ask any additional questions you may have!

:beers:
Rad

Thanks so much for your help.

My hydrometer is in order ! It’s had two weeks already do one more at between 62 - 70 f should be fine?

1 Like

Hydrometer is in order

For clarification, two weeks in primary correct? When did you transfer to secondary? I would say 1-2 weeks secondary should be plenty before bottling.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

When in doubt 4 weeks, total fermentation time, rarely fails.