Chico anyone?

Hey all. Licked my home brewing wounds and ready to get back at it. I’m going back to simple with a nice medium hoppy pale ale. Thinking about using Chico. Any thought on that strain? Looking for a good forgiving strain. Thanks all and stay safe and drink some :beer:

It’s a nice, clean strain… you can’t hide any… oops… I believe Sierra Nevada’s strain…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve used 05 a few times. I think I will pay a few extra bucks and go with the imperial strain. A07 I think it is.

If you haven’t tried yeast saving… Do look that up… It helps to bring the cost of the liquid yeast down… I had some go for 7 batches before it went off flavor…
I use alot of dry yeast now… In fact… 05 in the fermenter now! :beers:
Sneezles61

I think I will give that another go. Hope your batch turns out good

They usually do! Thanks!
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Chico is just a nickname for US05, WLP001 and WY1056. All good yeasts. Personally I prefer 1272 for clean ales that drop a little more clear than 1056 but it’s become harder to find locally so 1056 has become my house strain for ales. I had a difficult experience with US05 years ago and can’t even recall what it was now but it made me swear off dry yeast.

1 Like

If things start getting back to normal this spring… I’ll drive to NB. for wet yeast… I’ve had a few packets show… baked bring in the delivery truck…
Sneezles61

The Chico strain is the Sierra Nevada yeast and they are located in Chico CA. US-05 is really a great yeast I look no further for most of my ales. And yes it can be repiched

1 Like

I brewed yesterday and re-used my 05 yeast… Happily bubbling along today!
Sneezles61